CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: Is it ok to house 2 corns together?
Only if they arent both males 11 5.88%
Yes! never had a problem 41 21.93%
No! I've had problems 86 45.99%
Depends on the "personality" of the snakes 49 26.20%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Is it ok to house two snakes together?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #51
Annihilation-
infact, here is the perfect case and point. how many reptiles care for their young once their young are born? how many mamals care for their young once they are born? its really quite simple. there should just be more thought into these situations before mentioning them...you cant just look at them from one angle and expect to see everything...

Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #52
kocorns
The only time...

I house snakes together, if they are all holdback females that I have hatched out. I usually group them in 3's or 4's and they have always seemed to thrive this way. I have a few of my females from last year (all around 30") in a huge 3ft. home made cage and have several hides for them. They always seem to be under the same hide (as if they like hanging out togeter). Some may think that it's due to the best temp. in the cage, but my room is all the same temp., so it can't be that. I have noticed some female get stressed out when housed with any other snake however, and do believe that they all have different personalities. I would never reccomend keeping snakes together that have come from different sources in case one has something wrong with it. When they become breeding size, all of my snakes are in their own cage and the males are always housed alone until mating season. Again anything I put togeter is young females and all hatched by me, and of course you always run a slight risk of canibalism, which I have never seen yet.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #53
dr73
Jimmy is right. It is hard to argue with you. If they are so independent then why would you choose to hold them captive in a little cage that there independence clearly does not like? A snake does not know you from the man on the moon and it surely does not know or want another snake in its cage. Let all your snakes out and see if they follow each other around your house or if they go there own way.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #54
dr73
Cannibalism is the best reason not to keep them together. Period the end. If you love your snakes why would you want one to eat the other they have it die from eating to big a meal. If you want snakes to die just bash there heads together and get it over with.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #55
Annihilation-
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr73
Jimmy is right. It is hard to argue with you. If they are so independent then why would you choose to hold them captive in a little cage that there independence clearly does not like? A snake does not know you from the man on the moon and it surely does not know or want another snake in its cage. Let all your snakes out and see if they follow each other around your house or if they go there own way.

honestly, its quite apparent that they dont like, hint the "normal" behavior of trying to escape from the tank...and i think there are many people who could vouch differently weither or not a snake can tell one person from another. as for letting them roam around and see which goes where...who knows, some may folow others and some may go their own way...its all up to where they feel like going...same goes for kids...since you wanted to bring them up...if you put siblings together who normaly get along on a playground, im sure they will go play together for a while, but if you put lots of things around them that would intrest each differently then im sure they would go their own ways and seek out and explore what they want.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #56
dr73
I quiet Do what you want and if your snake end up dead do not say we did not tell you what could happen.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #57
Annihilation-
how so quit? as i have said before. my debate dosent directly involve cohab, its about the intelligence of snakes.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #58
dr73

Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
Annihilation-
lol

Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #60
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilation-
how so quit? as i have said before. my debate dosent directly involve cohab, its about the intelligence of snakes.
Then you're not just off-base, you're off-topic as well. This isn't against the rules, but maybe you should start another thread presenting your naive notions for discussion. Maybe you could educate yourself on comparative anatomy, particularly animal brains and brain function, then move on to some behavioral studies before starting that thread. Comparing a solitary animal like a snake to social animals such as dogs and humans exposes a profound lack of understanding of these themes on your part. I have some education in these areas, and I have experience with all of the animals that have been discussed. Jimmy is right, and you are wrong. Sorry...

And don't blame us if you present your touchy-feely, unsubstantiated views in a confused manner while you're suffering from fatigue. That's all on you.

On the experience side, I've kept hundreds of snakes, known dozens of cats and dogs, and I've known many, many humans. How many snakes have you kept? You don't find much better examples of creatures of pure instinct than snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google