CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Who houses their Corns together?

Old 08-13-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Taxidermy
Who houses their Corns together?

I am wondering, would I be able to house two snakes together in the same viv as long as I feed them in seperate containers. I've heared of snake cannibalism, but what if the snakes are the same size? Plus I believe this is the only way I would be able to get another snake. Should I go with this plan or possibly wait when I have the money to buy another viv?

Old 08-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
CornCrazy
My vote is to wait until you can afford to house them separately. Please do a search for cohabitation and housing together. You will find LOTS of threads and info about this subject.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
viktoria333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermy
I am wondering, would I be able to house two snakes together in the same viv as long as I feed them in seperate containers. I've heared of snake cannibalism, but what if the snakes are the same size? Plus I believe this is the only way I would be able to get another snake. Should I go with this plan or possibly wait when I have the money to buy another viv?
Hey Iwas wondering the same as about to get two hatching corns tomorrow and was thinking much the same!Apparently they are much the same size and hopefully i'll be able to keep them together for always.I'm not planning on breeding them though,just for pets.They will be an amelanistic and an albino cross amelanistic.Am really looking forward to owning my first corn snakes.If you have any good information for me then it would be much appreciated Cheers!

Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
cornsnakekid92
not many people are going to tell you it is a good idea to keep thiem in the same enclosure. but it is really up to you, do you want to risk it. do you want to risk canablzim, the sharing dises and tick and mites, it is up to you

Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktoria333

Hey Iwas wondering the same as about to get two hatching corns tomorrow and was thinking much the same!Apparently they are much the same size and hopefully i'll be able to keep them together for always.
The general consensus is that the worst time to keep them together is when they are hatchlings. Most of the examples of CS cannibalism that I have seen are with babies. This is also a time when they are already stressed from being moved, and more likely to develop health problems.

If you invest in two inexpensive 10 gallon setups, or similarly sized plastic tubs, that will buy you a good year to save up for two nice vivs. I used a piece of acrylic to divide a 55 gal. tank I had laying around. It houses two of my adults comfortably, seperately and without taking up too much room.

I'm on my way out, but will snap a pic of the setup later amd post it.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
princess
I have one large display terrarium with 5 adult males who get along like a house on fire, another community viv for 4 juvenile females (who are about to be split into 2 x 2 vivariums as they are growing and I don't want them to be crowded) and many of my young hatchlings are housed either together as whole clutches or in 2-3 tubs per clutch depending on the size.

All my others live in private quaters!

All are sepparated or closely supervised for feedings.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
SnakeAround
Cool Princess thta you admit housing some together, risking all the baffling and stuff... I house 3 '05 corns together in a very large tank so they can avoid each other if they want. Most of the time 2 are together and 1 is alone in mixed combo's, and they all do very well; 1 piece sheds, eating, pooping.... I plan to buy my separately housed yearling male an adult female in October, to form a couple next year I hope... I plan to have them live together all the time, or, if not going well, I just put all 4 females together in an even bigger viv when not breeding the couple. Maybe in 2007/8 I'll rotate the women to live with the male during breeding season, so they'll have a rest 3/4 off the season. If possible I'll keep one with the male all the rest of the year, just keeping a eye on which female feels most comfortable around him. But that's all future thoughts now...

Old 08-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
viktoria333
Talking Housing corns

I will be feeding my babies separately,every 5 days.i have purchased two geo type containers to do this,they will also be living in one for a while.I have been told that a 35 inch 12 by 24 should be ok for two adults,as i intend on keeping two females if possible.apparently both are much of the same size i would think that surely a snake can't eat the same size snake as itself?someone put me right please!If i got two from the same batch,would that help?I have a choice of a single adult too,I realise that this prospect would probably be better for a beginner such as myself,but i like a challenge{my chinese crested water dragon was emaciated when i first got him,and had a respiratory infection due to the last owner not giving him water to bathe in or bothering with the humidity either}He is now fully grown and a corking specimin,which unfortunatly has just grown too big for my house..So I will be swapping him for these corns,as they won't need a massive viv like my dino does.So do I go for two Hatchlings about 4 weeks old and feeding well?Or the big old carolina corn?Will tell what i get tomorrow!viktoria

Old 08-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
colinmcc
I house my adult females (three of them) together.

I have two adult males who live separately most of the time. One gets to go in the big tank at breeding time. The other gets the females brought to him.

I have two hatchlings at the moment. Both live on their own.

As already mentioned, the worst time for them to live together is as hatchlings. Once they're older, and you have had plenty time to assess their temperament, I feel it is OK to house females of good temperament and similar size together. Personally, I'll never put more than one male in the same tank. I keep all my hatchlings separate. I had a cannibalism incident with a couple of youngsters a few years ago that put me off housing anything but adult females together.

Each to their own though, there are plenty on here who will only EVER house snakes individually.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
viktoria333
Cannabalism

What was this cannibalism incident you are talking of?I can house them separatly for a while,but i always planned on separating them at dinner time.I don't understand,I can see a much larger one would see a small one as a quick snack but each of the same size?Can anyone there explain this to me?I don't want to witness a nasty swallowing event But I have been led to believe that two of the same size should be ok given enough room.I can separate them if things get a bit grim.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google