CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snake yawn?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
RicardoCruz005
Snake yawn?

Do snakes yawn? I saw my snake out of the corner of my eye with his mouth open. Its been days since he was fed, so he wasn't re-aligning his jaw or anything. He seems healthy. I've had him about a year, and this is the first time I've seen him do it. I've ever that it could mean they have a respiratory infection Do they ever just yawn to yawn? Or any other reason besides being ill and after eating?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
RicardoCruz005
I've inspected him, and he doesn't appear to have any mucus around his nose/eyes/mouth.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Elusive
You'd be suprised, My snake was fed and 3 days later I took her out. She sat there, then decided to finally re-align her jaw. She 'yawned' 2 or 3 times then never did it again. If your snake only does it once, I'm pretty sure he is just re-aligning his jaw.
I wouldnt worry too much about it, in fact, consider yourself lucky to see him do that

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Jadie.Glitch
Our new(ish) ball python "yawns" all the time, whether he's been fed or not. I'm not sure if they actually "yawn" between feeding for the same reason we do or not, but it sure seems that this is what he's doing. Just a plain old yawn.

(by "all the time" I mean, like once or twice while we are handling him. Not like he's got a health issue or something)

Old 11-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
RicardoCruz005
Thanks for your replies, I feel better now. Yeah, he ate on Saturday ( Around 6:30Pm ), and its Tuesday night ( 10:16Pm as I'm typing this ) so I doubt it was to re-align his jaw still, but I guess it could be. Oh well, he appears healthy, so I'm just going to assume he was stretching his mouth or something, lol.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
RicardoCruz005
I actually saw him yawn while looking directly at him this time. All he did was open his mouth really wide and then close it, all in one motion. He's not leaving his mouth hanging open or anything. If this continues, should I be at all concerned? Still no visible mucus from his nose/mouth/eyes. He's active too, not just sitting around.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Filardimarg2
Rio & Tanzi do this too, both are or appear to be healthy, they are active, interested in their environment & look good, so i think they are ok, just yawning or re-aligning their jaw.
Marg.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
RobbiesCornField
I have lots of snakes that yawn. Don't really know why, but they do. They've all been checked out by vets, so there's nothing wrong there. Some just like to yawn, I guess!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Spurticus
My older snake yawns all the time. She comes out late in the evening, and gives a big yawn before she crawls around the cage a while.

I just bought an Anery Female last weekend. She's three months old, and I've seen here yawn a couple of times since I put her in her new home.

Yeah, it's a natural for them as it is for us

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
measley
Like someone else said, if it's just once or twice it shouldn't be a big deal...

I love catching it! I think it's the cutest thing in the world!! I also think they look like muppets when they do it!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google