• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Poll: are you going to call "bloodred" anything else?

What name are you willing to call it?

• None: I'm sticking with "bloodred" only.

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • Episkiastic

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Diffused

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Other (please post with your answer)

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hmmm....

a nonsense corn? i would like a pair of those and a pair of miscellaneous corns please :D ! Now Rich, if you had these Miscellaneous Corns on your table, what kind of prices would they have? LOL, just messing with you. I hope it doesn't ever come to that ;)

Wes Spinks

Clint Boyer said:
Webster:
mot'ley (mot'le) adj.. 1, composed of discordant elements; heterogeneous.

I've always liked Motley and thought it was a very descriptive name.
What I mean by "nonsense" is that if you were to take someone who had never before seen a cornsnake and showed them 100 normally patterned corns, then asked them what a "motley" corn would look like, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

I agree: once you've seen them, it can be made to fit. But it doesn't create a clear picture by itself. :)

Then again its not just what I think, looks like "Bloodred" is winning the poll by a considerable gain, we ought to give that a little respect. Perhaps you should post a new poll to see if anyone has changed thier mind first. :confused: Although, with the same choices, I'd still vote the same. :p

I agree with Carol. A new poll should be made to see if this thread has had any effect. Of course, as Carol stated, new choices should be made so everyone doesn't vote the same way. Maybe we should leave bloodred off of the poll, just to see what is most popular among the oother choices. Personally, I would go along with any choice the majority of you guys decided on. I am open to most changes ;) .

Well since there is a lot of people who choose not to change the name at all (currently a majority) we should not exclude them from the poll all together.

I second the motion for keeping Bloodred. It could not be based upon 46 votes, but a very large section of the people including the ones not on the internet to make it stick.

A change of this magnitude would need a far greater majority in agreement on the perfect name than even 50% to make a change. As it stands, there is a 65% vote here against a change and perhaps higher if we added in the ones that voted for “Other” (Blood). Even if a perfect name was agreed upon by the highly intelligent people of this forum, it would be very difficult to make a total switch over with the masses.

The pattern/belly of a Bloodred can be described in many ways, but not without discussing its origins. Considering how long Bloodred has been used and how often it has been put in written text, a change like this seems like an impossible task.

Perhaps Serp is up to the task? LOL May I suggest a full page ad in Reptiles Magazine.

This '02 is het for the pattern trait formerly known as bloodred, and poss het anery/charcoal.
Serp

It think a new poll would be fun, but should be limited to Bloodred and one alternative. Which alternative, I have no idea. I don’t think one has been agreed upon, by those who wish a change. It is not too good, when the two suggested alternatives barely edge out “OTHER”.

This thread has at least made everyone who comes here-including many of the big names in corns- really think about the future and the use of names for longevity. Look what it takes to effect a change in the name of just 1 MORPH of 1 species.
NOt owning a bloodred, thus not affected much by the morph at all, I didn't know that they were trending to brighter, more orange reds. IMO, that sucks.
The name is no longer applicable.
You HAVE to think about the newbies and general public in this regard: they are your future clientele, and they'll want a snake that's blood red if that's what its called.
With the morph rapidly expanding in the last couple of years, the name change had better be sooner than later.

I'm not a big fan of any of the proposed names, but I think most of them would actually be better than bloodred.
I also agree that an ambiguous name would be best, though that's a tough call to make.
All I can suggest is to create a list of names by a given date.
Vote on the names, and choose the winner.

Anyway, that's my take.

I just don't know how to say this in any way that is different than has already been said. No one, at least no one that I know, is wanting to change the name bloodred. Therefore, having a poll that says which do you like better: bloodred or "X" doesn't mean anything at all, because no one is trying to substitute "X" for bloodred.

It's easy to get into a straw man argument about such subjects, and it is easy to get distracted, but I believe we only end up chasing our tails in the end, if we allow that to happen. The issues at hand are:

Is there an indentifiable genetic component of the bloodred morph, which is also found in non-bloodred morphs?

If so, should that genetic component be named so as to be identifiable as being part of what makes up a bloodred AND what makes up the non-bloodred morphs in which it is found?

If so, what shall it be called?

Those are the only three issues that are needing to be addressed here, in my opinion. No one is wanting to do away with "bloodred," so we need not worry ourselves about that any more. Instead, we need to just answer those questions.

If you say "no" to either of the first two, then we can discuss why that is. Maybe you're right, but let's talk about it and see. If you answer "Yes" to those first two questions, then let's get together and find SOMETHING to call this genetic mutation.

I say again ... bloodreds should ALWAYS be bloodreds, and pewters should ALWAYS be pewters!

Quote from JOE P:
A change of this magnitude would need a far greater majority in agreement on the perfect name than even 50% to make a change. As it stands, there is a 65% vote here against a change and perhaps higher if we added in the ones that voted for “Other” (Blood). Even if a perfect name was agreed upon by the highly intelligent people of this forum, it would be very difficult to make a total switch over with the masses.

Lets be realistic if three major breeders got together i.e. Rich, Kathy and Don and said we are going to change Bloodred to XYZ and flooded the market with several thousand of these XYZ snakes and Kathy changed the name in her book most people would fall in line. No majority is needed just a powerful minority, although they probably would not do that they could and allowing us into the discussion is great. This has been a great forum to read and I am learning alot, but like Henry Ford said about his Model T you can have any color you want as long as it is black. We can call them anything we want but if the people who own a majority of the market call them XYZ that is what they will eventually be known as.
Remember it is just my opnion, agree or disagree as you like.
Peace
Paul

I agree, but I think it may be risky and they know it, unless all three got on the band wagon at the same time. I don't hear the big three beating the drums for change.

Consumers have a considerable amount of influence and the wholesalers and retailers are very big consumers, not to mention thousands upon thousands of hobbyist. Without them, there would be no big three.

I was just looking through Rich's site and he listed one of his morphs het for the "Bloodred trait". That is hard to beat.

:laugh: I like that one too Joe, "the pattern trait formerly known as Bloodred". That is perfect!

Back