CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Bloodred Diffuse RedCoat and Yellowing

Old 08-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #1
medusacoils
Bloodred Diffuse RedCoat and Yellowing

So, since coming back to Cornsnakes there are a few new terms beings tossed around and I'm trying to understand them. Please bare with me if I'm wrong;, asking wrong, or just nuts. I have been out of cornsnake business since around 2012 when I sold my business.

Bloodreds, when I left, were basically distinguished by the markings on the side of their bodies and the patterning on their heads. I would post a pic if I could. Are they now considered Diffused as a morph? Some Proginy predictors list either or both. I am confused. What does the yellowing factor have to do with this, them, or anything? What does the red factor have to do with this, them, or anything?

I'm sorry I am asking such a pia question but I'm having a hard time finding answers to this specific question online. I can find bits and pieces but nothing that puts the puzzle together.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Some people still use diffused and bloodred interchangeably, but there's been a push to have the bloodred morph be considered a combo of two or three mutations - masque (causes the bald head pattern), diffused (causes the smeary side pattern and eliminates belly checkers) and potentially one of the reddening genes, either red coat or red factor (although the redness of bloodreds could be a line bred thing).

I don't really know much about yellow factor, but you can read some of the recent threads about it posted by Joe Pierce.

Also there's the morphpedia with some descriptions and info on the base mutations. https://www.morphmarket.com/morphped...akes/diffused/

Old 08-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Some people still use diffused and bloodred interchangeably, but there's been a push to have the bloodred morph be considered a combo of two or three mutations - masque (causes the bald head pattern), diffused (causes the smeary side pattern and eliminates belly checkers) and potentially one of the reddening genes, either red coat or red factor (although the redness of bloodreds could be a line bred thing).

I don't really know much about yellow factor, but you can read some of the recent threads about it posted by Joe Pierce.

Also there's the morphpedia with some descriptions and info on the base mutations. https://www.morphmarket.com/morphped...akes/diffused/
One of the things that always stood out to me, and still does, is the "skull pattern" or "bald Pattern" on the head, the deep red bodies, and then there was some that had the "pied side". The bald pattern 10 or 12 years ago was rare. I'm just looking to learn right now.

As I mentioned, you leave the hobby for a decade and everything goes haywall. It was simpler back then.

Thank You!

Old 11-24-2023, 02:01 AM   #4
Vinman
I don't believe masque is a mutation. The same thing happens with Motley and Stripe. Those mutations effect the normal offspring that don't carry the gene. I se it get passed on to further generations.

There is no red coat in the original stock If this was the case it would have been a piece of cake to re create what Eddie Leach did. I can tell you from fact that the color of the red coat gene looks totally different from a Leach stock bloodred

I been breeding blood reds for many years I had the original leach stock from Mark Bells animals. Bloodreds are just one mutation. They were just line breed and inbred for so many years. I had lost my male about 2 or 3 years ago which was a first generation cross between a Leach/Bell Blood and a true Jasper Co Okeetee. I called him the old man once he turned 18.

That Okeetee line produced some reddish corns. The only male I had was a burnt orange male from that line as I lost all my animals to Crypto. I had bred him to his daughters and every blood red I had from bloodred multi mutations. I even got to breed him too some of him out crossed grand daughters . I been working with them for years so if there was a red coat gene in the old stock it would have popped up in my animals just like Striped, hypo, Anery B,Pied sided and albino has.

I been only breeding for deep color reddish bloods. I have specialize in them and made sure to have a good amount unrelated animals to work with. Even though my animals are all related I have enough unrelated founding stock.

Here is a pic of one of 2 brothersI have which is the offspring of the Old Man bred back to his daughter. I have him, his brother and his sister. I been using the 2 males because they produce the best colored offspring and his sister gets bred to the other males that I used to breed. Here are pic's of some of this year animals. I have plenty more 2023 bloods. I'm getting very close to producing what Eiddie created. My best animals look what his medium quality animals to his worst looked like . They look more reddish in indoor lighting and a slight more orangish in natural light

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
bloodred, diffuse, red coat, redcoat, yellowing