CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn With BAD Attitude

Old 06-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #31
boidavid
Hello Mausssen! While there are many knowledgeable and experienced keepers on this forum(the best out there regarding corns) , I have limited experience having kept only three corn snakes in my lifetime. I'm more of a Boid guy, but corns are great too! So with that being said I'll offer my opinion as such, just my opinion. It sounds to me as if your snake has not been interacted with much , or enough, prior to coming into your care. I would acquire a snake hook and research the proper use of it. Make sure you're offering an appropriate sized prey item and your temps are in the 85* warm 75* cool range , give or take a couple of degrees, 55-65 percent consistent humidity , with appropriate snug fitting, one way in and out hides. Plenty of cover can do wonders for calming any species of insecure snake. Build a consistent handling and maintenance routine if one is not in place currently. If he doesn't settle down for you and you need to move him on please try and do so to a responsible party, for the sake of the snake and your own peace of mind. I have two Carpet Pythons kept in separate identical cages , same routines , same everything. One is puppy dog tame and the other is a display only snake. They're are both loved and admired. Best wishes!!

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #32
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by boidavid View Post
Hello Mausssen! While there are many knowledgeable and experienced keepers on this forum(the best out there regarding corns) , I have limited experience having kept only three corn snakes in my lifetime. I'm more of a Boid guy, but corns are great too! So with that being said I'll offer my opinion as such, just my opinion. It sounds to me as if your snake has not been interacted with much , or enough, prior to coming into your care. I would acquire a snake hook and research the proper use of it. Make sure you're offering an appropriate sized prey item and your temps are in the 85* warm 75* cool range , give or take a couple of degrees, 55-65 percent consistent humidity , with appropriate snug fitting, one way in and out hides. Plenty of cover can do wonders for calming any species of insecure snake. Build a consistent handling and maintenance routine if one is not in place currently. If he doesn't settle down for you and you need to move him on please try and do so to a responsible party, for the sake of the snake and your own peace of mind. I have two Carpet Pythons kept in separate identical cages , same routines , same everything. One is puppy dog tame and the other is a display only snake. They're are both loved and admired. Best wishes!!

Out of Curiosity, what kind of Carpet Pythons? While they can be different individually, in general, they can be known for particular temperaments.
Jungles tend to be more feisty (especially the Zebras), IJ's typically more laid back, Coastals and Inlands are generally pretty easy to handle (although Inlands are very active, they're easy to handle).

Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #33
boidavid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Out of Curiosity, what kind of Carpet Pythons? While they can be different individually, in general, they can be known for particular temperaments.
Jungles tend to be more feisty (especially the Zebras), IJ's typically more laid back, Coastals and Inlands are generally pretty easy to handle (although Inlands are very active, they're easy to handle).
Just as you think Mystic , super mellow , non head shy IJ , and a forever irate jungle ! Lol

Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #34
MysticExotics
Quote:
Just as you think Mystic , super mellow , non head shy IJ , and a forever irate jungle ! Lol

Haha! Ij's are one of my favorites.
Jungles can be so crabby! LOL

Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #35
maausen
Quote:

Well thank you very much for the input. Handling has been getting better. But I do also agree that he was never socialized by handling prior to being in my care!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #36
maausen
So tonight my corn bit me real good and held on. This is the first time he bit and held on for good. I tried to avoid letting him wrap coils around my hand as he did. I managed to not let him wrap coils around my hand and then ran some luke-warm water over his head and he immediately let go. I now am worried he's having trouble realigning his jaws. Is this a concern? I am supposed to be going out of town tonight for a few days but am worried somehow he got hurt?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #37
Twolunger
No problem. Snakes realign their jaws if necessary.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #38
maausen
This was also the first time I handled without a long sleeve shirt. I have been handling multiple times a week with long sleeves and gloves with no problem what-so ever. Then tonight, I had gloves and a short-sleeve. As soon as he slithered to my skin he bit as hard as possible and latched on.. Any thoughts??

Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #39
Raven
Your snake's jaw should be fine. I had a baby that twisted its jaw funny due to a shed getting stuck. Took a few days but was fine after that.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it still sounds like a scent thing to me or his reaction to something you do when he touches your skin? Maybe he gets nervous or defensive if you tense up or flinch?

I know it sounds odd, but try recording an entire session of you working with him. That way you, or someone else, can try to better evaluate what happens. If you can watch as a third person or have anther set of eyes (or hundreds if you post it), it may be easier to pinpoint the triggers/cause?

And sorry he bit you again. It does sound like you are making progress though and definitely deserve some pats on the back for dedication.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #40
maausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Your snake's jaw should be fine. I had a baby that twisted its jaw funny due to a shed getting stuck. Took a few days but was fine after that.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it still sounds like a scent thing to me or his reaction to something you do when he touches your skin? Maybe he gets nervous or defensive if you tense up or flinch?

I know it sounds odd, but try recording an entire session of you working with him. That way you, or someone else, can try to better evaluate what happens. If you can watch as a third person or have anther set of eyes (or hundreds if you post it), it may be easier to pinpoint the triggers/cause?

And sorry he bit you again. It does sound like you are making progress though and definitely deserve some pats on the back for dedication.
I definately will have to try the recording idea. I think that’ll help. I wonder if it’s more my scent from soap I use that is upsetting to him.

I’m okay with the bites.i understand that they are wild animals and not all animals love being held by giants

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google