CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Milk Snake Phase"? Miami? (lots of pics)

Old 09-18-2004, 03:06 AM   #11
magick-bears
I have to agree with Carol. I don't have any experience with the Milk Snake Phase so I can't comment on that. I, however, have allot of experience with Miamis. I bred allot of them for a long time and they are probably my favorite cultivar. To me your 2 yearlings have too much yellow/tan and not enough silver in their backgrounds to be called Miamis. That is just me though. Carol also makes a good point in not selling the Mediocre one that may be or may not be whatever color just to get a little more for it. If you do in the long run you will have some very unhappy customers. But since Carol is so picky I know if I buy a Miami hatchling from her (which I have 4 Miamis from her) that it will be a good, most likely very good, Miami and I won't have to worry about it looking like a normal as an adult.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
JM :o)
Don't worry~ I'm not planning on selling any of those girls just yet~ just looking for some opinions on them. I did sell the rest of the clutch as "Normals" which I was a bit concerned over as I would expect more red out of a "Normal" than those girls have developed. I'm a little unclear on exactly what makes for a "Milk Snake phase" which is why I tend to call the original male a "Miami" instead.

I put quite a lot of effort into insuring you could see the yellowing/tanning near the heads on those girls~ suprisingly the camera seems to want to make them look better than they are! The amount of yellow shown in those pics is very representative though (Had to take about a dozen pics before I got ones that didn't bleed out the yellow and make it also look silver).

I'm still not sure just "Normal" is the right name for those girls without more red in them~ are you sure I wouldn't be better off calling them poorly colored Miami's? Or greyish Normals??

Opinions welcome!
Thanks!
~ the poster who asked about the original male~ he has some yellow up near his head but for the most part he is a uniform grey!

Old 09-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #13
Doric
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM :o)
Doric~ I probably should have found a more "PC" way to say than than I did. No offense intended~ If you don't agree with Line breeding that's completely your business~ Your right there are a lot of potential Cons to it~ but there are also a lot of pontential Pros.
No problem - no offence taken

Old 09-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #14
Doric
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
Doric,

Yes all amelanistic snakes descended from that first specimen, but so did man. The number off blood lines out there is countless. Over the years, long time hobbyists and breeders like Rich and Kathy have added in new wild caught blood thus diluting the influence of inbreeding. Unlike fancy dogs, you can take a snake cross in unrelated blood and return to a fancy product in only two generations.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks - as I have said I am new to snake keeping and I am only trying to put my snakes first based om the information that I have available at the time. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google