• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

President May be in Trouble

The most interesting thing about the 47% figure is how it actually breaks down:

Breakdown3-06-17-11.gif

(From the Washington Post)

Out of the 47% that Romney claims are moochers who will never vote Republican are people who pay payroll tax, the elderly on social security and a small percentage who live on welfare. It's interesting that Romney is trying to alienate the elderly, who, if I remember correctly, heavily vote Republican.

Regardless of either man's suitability, the Romney campaign is one of the worst political campaigns I've ever seen. It's just blowing me away.

I don't see that it really matters if he is correct or not. It is just a campaign strategy. Maybe his people figure that older people on SS are already heavily republican and don't need special campaign attention. Regardless of which party seniors vote for, my guess is that they have already decided and are not going to change their minds (for the most part). So campaign money and time aimed at the elderly is probably mostly wasted.

I am almost retirement age myself. I paid into SS my whole life and won't consider myself a moocher when, and IF, I get back what I paid in, plus interest. BUT - technically, once I retire I won't be a producer anymore, even if I don't consider myself a "moocher".

He admitted he didn't phrase it well, since it wasn't intended to be public. But it is just campaign strategy that every politician must use. Just because his private conversation became national news doesn't mean that he is the only one who targets his campaign towards or away from whatever audience he thinks will benefit his campaign the most - or that he is the only one who isn't the best speaker in private.

I think the issue people are taking umbrage with more is his description of nearly half of the American people being moochers who will only vote democratic because they're dependent on them. At least, that's the criticism I've seen leveled time and again.

"Just to play devil's advocate here, there are some people who condemn Bin Laden's killing on the grounds that he was unarmed and put to death without a fair trial. That what happened was a war crime."

I don't remember all of the details now. But didn't the SEAL say that they wanted to capture him, but he threatened them, or wasn't able to be captured? We will never know what happened there for sure. But I think the world is better off without him. If he would have been captured, he probably would have been a rallying point for extremists to create terror in his name, to demand his release.

I believe this is beside the issue.

Under what authority can the USA send ANYONE into a foreign country to capture or kill someone while on that foreign soil WITHOUT a formal declaration of war? Obviously I'm not a Bin Laden supporter nor advocate, but how would we feel about any other country doing the same thing HERE on USA soil?

I believe this is beside the issue.

Under what authority can the USA send ANYONE into a foreign country to capture or kill someone while on that foreign soil WITHOUT a formal declaration of war? Obviously I'm not a Bin Laden supporter nor advocate, but how would we feel about any other country doing the same thing HERE on USA soil?

Yeah Rich, that was pretty much what the man said. I don't remember his name but he was a guest on Stossel.

LOL, I read the article about Madonna.... Just solidifies my choice in not voting for the man...

Honestly, he talks a good talk. He is excellent with speeches that are prepared, but I have seen him fumble when he was not given the answer by a teleprompter... Its one thing that I appreciated about W, I was at his final speech in Texas when he got off from the plane. He did not have a teleprompter, and it wasn't a prepared speech... Honestly they should have let him wing all of his speeches because on the fly the man sounds very intelligent.... I guess its one of those "the media can make you sound like whatever they want".

Either way, no matter who is elected, the strings will be picked up and they will no longer be the person you think they are.

It is proven time and time again that Politicians only say what they do, in order to get elected. Once in office most, if not all, turn 180 degrees on their "stances", or lack there of, and do not care about the general populace until election time starts to come up.
It has nothing to do with "he had to protect himself the first couple of years", it has everything to do with "times are changing and if I don't show my support I won't get their votes!" Like what was said, if Obama truly cared for any group of people, he would have fought for the changes when he had the majority, not a few months before the election.

Oh and Dorgrim, that photo you put up of Obama is honestly one of the worst form of worship that I have ever seen. Obama had nothing to do with the planning of the operation, all he did was press the button. He did not pull the trigger that shut Bin Laden down for good. That was a SEAL, who probably "died" in the helicopter crash a few months later. If you want to know who really does the work, spend some time over seas with the men and women who actually put their lives on the line to bring the bad guys to justice. It's an eye opener.

Oh and Dorgrim, that photo you put up of Obama is honestly one of the worst form of worship that I have ever seen. Obama had nothing to do with the planning of the operation, all he did was press the button. He did not pull the trigger that shut Bin Laden down for good. That was a SEAL, who probably "died" in the helicopter crash a few months later. If you want to know who really does the work, spend some time over seas with the men and women who actually put their lives on the line to bring the bad guys to justice. It's an eye opener.

TLDR- both the birth certificate issue and the seal issue are silly. Of course it was the seals who did the hardest work (which apparently you decided to skip over the part where I said that, and MANY others said that). But to say he is all bad is just ridiculous.

If I want to know? Both my parents and all of my siblings are in the military or service. My mother was in desert storm, and I grew up seeing what they went through. I know what hard work they do to get things done! And I don't belittle it at all. BUT just like in all things, no one is perfect, and not every military figure is an idol. Grain of salt with everything.

worship- lolwut? Its actually a funny picture that epitomizes the ridiculous quality in which the bickering has gone to. Worship....hmm dont know where that one came from. I didnt realize text over a funny image automatically implied that somehow there was a sacred act occurring. Seems like some in the dark pot shots heh.

Regardless...There are cute snake pictures to look at elsewhere!

WhoopsNo.gif

I do not understand text speak, and will not try to find a key somewhere so I can learn it. If you would like to have a discussion, please speak in english, because I am an idiotic ex-military member who realizes what a horrible environment this president has created for my brothers and sisters, who just also happens to be a hard headed individual.
Every post I have seen you make in any thread that has any type of political tie, you are saying what a great guy Obama is. That is paramount to worship in my book. The man does not fart gold and rainbows. He does nothing without the approval of the other branches of our Government. You also seem to have no idea (past what the media feeds you) of current events. Do some research on your own.

I too have family that have served in the military, I know of a few that have served in every major war, but having family that has served in the military may give you a little bit of an understanding, but until you do it yourself, you will never truely understand what we go through.

I agree that the Birth Certificate was dumb, even though it is something that everyone should produce when running for office (in my opinion). But, Obama took the glory for what SEAL team 6 did, and a Commander is supposed to be someone who can give credit where it is due. This man has proven that he does not know how to lead, and does not deserve the respect of our military that his station demands.

... But, Obama took the glory for what SEAL team 6 did, and a Commander is supposed to be someone who can give credit where it is due. This man has proven that he does not know how to lead, and does not deserve the respect of our military that his station demands.
Exactly!

Considering the stock market has gone through the fastest recovery it has had since the Great Depression, unemployment has been steadily improving and I just saw an article that was discussing the rise in home prices (Suggests that real estate is recovering, although how much, I don't know), there's an awful lot of doomsaying in this thread. You guys are some of the most determined pessimists I've ever met.

Wow, I didn't know unemployment was steadily improving. Perhaps it is because I live in a very poor state that I haven't noticed. I see a lot of houses on the market that have been there for the last year or so around my neighborhood. I haven't inquired about the prices but I know they haven't sold.

I would love to be optimistic and most of the time see the brighter side of things. But sometimes you have to look at the way things are going. Right now it doesn't look very bright. I don't care who is in office.

http://www.google.ca/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=country:US&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=us+unemployment+rate#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=unemployment_rate&fdim_y=seasonality:S&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:US&ifdim=country&tstart=1198652400000&tend=1345960800000&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false

You can see it goes up a lot over the course of 2008 as the economy tanked, but it's been going down ever since. It's still 8.1%, which isn't great, but people who expected a night/day kind of difference are unrealistic.

And some places have probably seen no improvement. Nevada still has a 12% unemployment rate, which is brutal. There's still a long way to go for everyone.

The comparison to Greece is a strange one considering the reason Greece's economy isn't getting better is because they were lying about their economy for years and the majority of people were cheating on their taxes. The government hid the lack of revenues and has been making up the shortfall with money from the EU. When they could no longer hide the money they were losing, the EU cut them off.

The situation in the US is not at all analogous and the sheer power of the US economic engine is second to none in the world. It's going to recover. There is no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Same here Steph. I think I might be a bit biased since I live in the one of the worst states in the country as far as taxes, unemployment and a hostile business climate. Seriously, check every single bad list out there and Rhode Island is at the top of it.

But I can still see the signs a mile away, and the REAL news is covered up....

If President Obama's goal was to ruin this country, then he's been doing a pretty good job prolonging that destruction. His term started with a recession that had nothing to do with him or his policies, but, still he found ways to lift us from that recession. So if this country was going to look like Greece in his next term, and his policies are destined to send us into ruin (forever), than what lifted us from the recession that we were already in?...

If President Obama's goal was to ruin this country, then he's been doing a pretty good job prolonging that destruction. His term started with a recession that had nothing to do with him or his policies, but, still he found ways to lift us from that recession. So if this country was going to look like Greece in his next term, and his policies are destined to send us into ruin (forever), than what lifted us from the recession that we were already in?...

You are joking, right? You think Obama lifted this country out of recession? I see no evidence of that at all. Nearly everyone I know is worse off then they were 4 years ago.

The economy is horrible. Building is at a standstill in NC. I'm not blaming the president, but I sure as hell wouldn't say he's "found ways to lift us from the recession." That sounds like worship.

Back