CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #91
Rich in KY
I read in the link you posted that COLOMBOVAC has been used to treat the virus. Can it be administered as a precaution?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #92
SnakesRule1234
Maybe seperate all you snakes.. and get a check-up to see if any have the virus or whatever this is.
If you already did, my bad...
Hope all your animals are going to be ok!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #93
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesRule1234 View Post
Maybe seperate all you snakes.. and get a check-up to see if any have the virus or whatever this is.
If you already did, my bad...
Hope all your animals are going to be ok!
I don't care about my animals - it may already be too late for them. I will be there and hold each one down to euthanise them if I have to. I just want other people to know about the situation. If ther correct precautions are not taken it could turn into an epidemic.

The worst thing is, theres a reptile show on next weekend and animals are being taken down from Scotland and brought up from England. Fortunatley I was able to contact a guy I know who is in touch with the people who run the show and have warned him of the situation.

IMO all trading should be ceased until Windsor's autopsy report comes back. If it's inconclusive then these extreme measures will do no harm - except have some lose out on a penny or two. Who cares... protecting your reputation or your animals? For me theres no contest.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #94
Intravenous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
If we cannot treat viruses in humans, do you think we can cure reptile viruses?

The virus is infectious to humans but each strain is species specific.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiviral_drug

There are antiviral drugs but because of the cost of them they tend to only be made for serious diseases...there'd be no point making drugs to target the common cold that mutates several times a year.

That's not the point of the thread though...I hope the test results turn out to be something non-infectious and I'm really sorry to hear about your snake.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #95
Bluebird
Oh, Elle this is terrible news...you must be just beside yourself

I really hope everything turns out ok... hang in there

Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #96
diamondlil
I've put a heads up on a small british forum I'm a member of. One of the members had a perfectly healthy kingsnake die of unknown causes (in Scotland) and I know he deals/breeds boids. I've used your link, Elle, I hope you don't mind.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #97
Plissken
I'll try and get the word out to some of my herp acquaintances, Elle. I know I am not all that close to Scotland, but we can't know where snakes in Scotland have since travelled to and it can't hurt to spread the word as far as possible.

I was planning on buying a boa shortly, but I'm going to wait a while now as I have a small place and quarantine is difficult. I don't want to risk my current snakes.

If it is this virus, does anyone know if it is localised to one type of snake (ie only pythons) or can it affect any snake, boid, colubrid, whatever? I would assume all snakes...

Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #98
diamondlil
If you do a search on the disease, it's all snakes, here's a link to get you started
http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptile...d=3977&search=

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #99
Plissken
Thanks Janine, I'm running a search at the moment.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #100
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I've put a heads up on a small british forum I'm a member of. One of the members had a perfectly healthy kingsnake die of unknown causes (in Scotland) and I know he deals/breeds boids. I've used your link, Elle, I hope you don't mind.
Sounds like that was my friend snakeypete. We were on the phone for hours in the last few days trying to get the word out. Phoned the vet to ask him to test for Paramyxovirus and he already said hes done it as it was a corncern. The carpet python is going to be checked for reflexes later today as paramyxovirus displays some IBM symptoms as well as respiratory infection.

Unfortunatley I cannot confirm anything at the moment, which is so frustrating. All we can do is wait for the autopsy results. I know people are freaking out about myself and Lynn coming out with this information, but you know what - better be safe than sorry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google