CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A day at the stables

Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
diamondlil
A day at the stables

No time for my riding lesson today, because I foolishly suggested I'd need some lessons in stable management. So instead of loafing about while Kim works, I've progressed to helping muck out, and today was promoted to doing my own work without her help. (She's worked in livery yards before and has high standards, so being allowed to muck out and lay a bed is really promotion) After that, I had a class in picking hooves out, with Merlin being my very patient model.
It rained heavily for an hour or so, then the sun was out and we decided to get the rugs off and go for some heavy-duty grooming on the mares that are living out. (The bigger ones are in foal, due around May).

Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
diamondlil
We didn't have time to groom either of the stallions, who have to be tied up for grooming, so they kept their wild look for now

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
That chestnut mare is stunning! I really miss mucking in at the stables

Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
diamondlil
There are so many mares that I'm only just learning their personalities. The chestnut is an arab but I can't remember her bloodline (The owner can rattle off the breeding of all his horses, I know she's not a Crabbet, but I think there is a Crabbet stallion in her line somewhere. So she's carrying an arab x andalusian foal. She's quite aloof, today is the first time I've got a kiss from her. She had a few owners so doesn't trust you immediately, to win her affection I've just made sure she's never felt pressured and took it very slowly with her. (In contrast, the flea-bitten grey has been with the owner all of her life and loves everyone)

Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
SnakesRule1234
Cool... they're really pretty.
I already expressed how I feel about horses, but at least they're pretty to look at.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
diamondlil
Being around the ponies and horses again after so long, and learning to be comfortable around them has been hard work, with lots of help from my friends. From a childhood spent obsessed with them, I never trusted them after getting bolted with at the age of 10. I would never have been on the same side of the fence without breaking into a sweat a couple of years ago. Understanding that they can hurt you without meaning to and learning how to be safe and confident around them again is beyond words. Apart from my human pals who own the horses, it's really down to the sweet natures of Coconuts and Merlin that I'm building up to working with the more difficult characters too.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
ratsncorns
I spent a lot of time while growing up, working at the local stables. I didn't really get paid, but I got to ride the horses and that was payment enough! Your pictures brought back some great memories. What a gorgeous group of horses.. lucky!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
diamondlil
Thanks! I'm very lucky, I'd never be able to afford my own horse or give the time and commitment they need and lessons are far too expensive around here. I can't wait for the foals to start arriving, and the coloured french sports horse, Gypsy, is going to be backed later this year.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
insomniac101
Thank you for posting your photos; they bring back such good memories. I sold my last horse about six years ago when I bought my house. Sadly, I couldn't afford both. I still have my saddle, bridles, and brushes, just in case!

Kathy

Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
diamondlil
Thanks for enjoying them! I've got my own starter grooming kit, in a terrible pink colour, in it's own pink bag! I actually like grooming as much if not more than the riding lessons, because it helps me relax and become more 'savvy' around the horses, and I feel it's a better way of getting to know them than giving treats. My first 'hands on' sessions with Coconuts and a carrot stick used to leave me in a nervous heap, because I just didn't trust her. Because she was so wild (caught straight off the moors with a foal at foot, passed through dealers and no reason to like people), gaining trust was a two-way process, and I wasn't at all ready to be around the big horses until I'd bonded with her.
I'm still working my way through the Parelli games, and my friend got me the lovely Bill Dorrance book for Christmas. Learning how and why the ponies and horses get spooked and how to stay safe around them, then learning how to have fun with them again is a long process but totally worth it.
I was almost killed by a bolting hunter at the age of 10 or 11, and never thought I'd ride again, so never say never!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google