• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Retired Male? please read

A friend of mine works at "reptiles by mack" and since he does he gets "retired" males for 5 dollars and babies for 10. He texts me this morning asking if i might be interested in two "retired" males... apparently reptiles by mack cycles in new males every few years.
the males in question are an 04 Opal and an 04 pewter

i can get them for dirt cheap obviously, as he paid 10 bucks for both of them, but my question is, would it be worth it? since theyre "retired".. i know males can theoretically breed til the day they pass.. thoughts?

Are they genes you need? Do you have specific plans for them? Eventually, one runs out of space. Are they healthy?

they're very big and healthy, ive been working with alot of diffused genes here lately and my boyfriend is looking into buying an opal female (before we even knew of this male) So i'd think if i can get them for the right price it'd be worth it, i have two slots left in my Adult rack at the moment, and more space becoming available since im selling off a few milks.
worst case, i will keep them for next year and if I don't decide to breed them i will give them to someone who wants to get into snakes, or keep them for pets. :D

I ordered 5 retired breeders from them for a customer last year. They were okay, but all five were pretty fat. I prefer RBM for their leos.

In my experience their peak breeding ages are 6-8, so you might find that their fertility starts to drop off. However, I've had a male which happily sired fertile clutches into his early teens, so my betting is that an '04 male will still have enough juice to be useful for a few years yet.

I think males can generally breed much later than females anyway - it's the females which bear the physical brunt of forming and laying eggs. An 8 year old "retired" female breeder would probably only be good for another couple of years if she was in tip-top physical condition. Males incur very little wear-and-tear from the process.

Oooooo I love the opals! Had a chance to pick up a female at the expo last month but didn't...she was more expensive, and I felt drawn to little Omnom =/ Maybe next time, as she was from the same breeder my 2 came from.

(Don't forget to quarantine!)

Looking forward to pics if/when you get them. Love those anery-based morphs. :)

I had a female that gave me 19 healthy eggs and hatchlings when she was 14 years old. So, go for it. If they are healthy you can breed them for probably ten more years.

Back