CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Defying the odds Thai Bamboo clutch!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Tavia
Defying the odds Thai Bamboo clutch!

Serenity laid her first clutch earlier this year. Back in 2014, she and Atari produced one set of fraternal twins, a male and a female. The rest of that season and the two she's had after, no twins.

When candling this first clutch of this year, I noticed one of the eggs appeared to have two "cheerios" and was wondering if it had twins. Fast forward to yesterday when the first egg slit but no nose poked out, so after about 12 hours, I cut it and could tell it was dead, so removed them from the egg. Turned out to be two complete full term babies with nothing obviously wrong. So, needless to say, I was pretty bummed about that.

Another egg with a single baby pipped yesterday and emerged this morning. A bit later, another egg pipped and baby stuck his head out. Then a second egg slit but after a few hours hadn't popped a nose out so I got a bit worried and cut a bigger hole in the egg, could tell the baby was still alive but couldn't see a head, so left it be another few hours. Came back to check them again just a bit ago and got a huge shock! That last egg had two heads poking out! We have a second and thankfully live set of twins! That's two twin sets in one 6 egg clutch.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
brian60
Is there a known % chance of how rare twins are to have happen even once? Let alone twice in ONE small clutch...and three times so far in the momma's life? Seems extraordinary!

Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian60 View Post
Is there a known % chance of how rare twins are to have happen even once? Let alone twice in ONE small clutch...and three times so far in the momma's life? Seems extraordinary!
I've never heard of any good stats on twins. Not super rare but fairly uncommon based on 10 years of being in reptile groups. Triplets and even quads aren't unheard of, though I think the only species I've seen that in are retics. Personally, in 8 years of breeding, I've had twins only once before this, the one I mentioned before from this pair. And I've had one two faced corn DIE hatchling, an unsuccessful start at identical twins.

I've never heard of more than one egg in a clutch having multiples though.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
brian60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
I've never heard of any good stats on twins. Not super rare but fairly uncommon based on 10 years of being in reptile groups. Triplets and even quads aren't unheard of, though I think the only species I've seen that in are retics. Personally, in 8 years of breeding, I've had twins only once before this, the only I mentioned before from this pair. And I've had one two faced corn DIE hatchling, an unsuccessful start at identical twins.

I've never heard of more than one egg in a clutch having multiples though.
Quite sad and unfortunate about the others not having the best of luck, but too cool to see it happened somewhat successfully how it did this time in rather unique fashion!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Tavia
The first twin is out and a little rocket. Got one flying picture while trying to get a weight, which is probably 2.2 or 3.2 grams, the scale was really struggling to get a reading, so not sure whether to trust either of those numbers. It's a male.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Shiari
I really love the bridging between the stripes on these guys, and the ones you have with 3 or 4 bridges. It would be really cool looking if the whole snake was bridged like that.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
brian60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
I really love the bridging between the stripes on these guys, and the ones you have with 3 or 4 bridges. It would be really cool looking if the whole snake was bridged like that.
I have to agree! That last picture of the newly emerged hatchling...I LOVE the rather simple yet awesome design.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Tavia
I really like the cross bars too, the more the better. Unfortunately they fade out and mostly disappear by the time the snake is 3 or so. I hatched this one in 2015 that had 5 cross bars.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Nanci
So cute!!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Tavia
The other twin is out now. He was much calmer and let me get some good pictures and a good weight on him. He is 3 grams and male as well. Looks the same as the first twin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google