CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Lost Snake FOUND! Emergency Care?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Candachan
Lost Snake FOUND! Emergency Care?

On December 10, 2006, my newly bought Bairdi escaped. I looked and looked but he was nowhere to be found, and I sort of gave up hope.

Tonight, we found him under a box in the basement. My roomie thought he was dead and told me he found my dead snake. I went to go see him and when I picked up his limp body, his tail wrapped around my finger.

I took him upstairs and put him in some room-temp water for a while and tried to get him to drink. He moved around a bit more but didn't drink. Right now he's in a deli cup on heat cable with a shallow water dish and toilet paper.

He's very thin and his head and neck area are stiff and not moving as fluidly as the rest of him. He doesn't move unless touched. His eyes respond to light and movement. He hasn't flicked his tongue.

What do I do?! I don't want to stress him out now. I covered him up with a piece of tissue to let him hide, and then put his body over the heated part of the deli. I have some Carnivore Emergency aid as well, but haven't used it.

I'm afraid he may not make it, but I'd love advice...

Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Susan
Considering your location and the place you found the snake, he is probably very cold. You have done the right thing by placing him in a safe, secure and warm place. The shallow water dish is perfect. I would recommend that you just leave him alone to get warm and recover from his brumation. Hopefully he didn't get too cold and hasn't suffered any permanent damage. Only time will tell. Check on him a couple of times a day, with minimal disturbances for the 5-7 days. If he returns to normal after that period, offer him a very small meal, gradually increasing the size, every 5 days until he's feeding as before his disappearance. Good luck! I hope he makes it.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Candachan
Yeah, I put a tupperware lid of water in there. I put the deli in the back of a shelf in my rack with a grate taped over the opening to keep cats and people away. He's in shadow right now. I think I saw a bit of movement!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Brizzle
Least you found him. I hope he makes it!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Dave123
Yea, please keep us updated on him. Hope he will pull through.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
nigel the corn snake
ive got a story about an escaped snake.

Rite it starts of about a year ago my sisters mate had a corn snake and then he lost it and a few weeks ago he found it.
Because whenever he ntried to close his draws they went dodgey so he had a look at them and there it was the snake it was behind the draws and after a while the snake was back to normal.

I hopw your snake gets back to normal aswell.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
SnakeAround
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the snake!

I'd use the Emergency aid if I had it..... But only if he looks like he can handle the stress that comes of it.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Candachan
Unfortunately, the snake passed away Sunday morning. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing seeing as this is my first snake death and I was so hopeful when we found him. I guess he was just too weak, you would have never known he was alive without examining him really closely.

But I went to go see him and he was stiff and had that yellow death-spot on his belly, gallbladder?

I froze his body. I don't intend to have him necropsied or preserved, I just didn't know what to do with him. I still don't.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
tbtusk
I'm so sorry to hear about that. Do what ever you think best, but my family has a place on our property in Western massachusettes that we have decided is a peaceful, natural place to bury our pets that have passed away. We feel that the fact that it's in the forest in a peaceful place makes it a good place for the animals to be buried. Maybe finding a place like that for him to "live on" in would be good.

Again I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Dave123
Aww, so sorry to hear that. You did all you could.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google