CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

5000th post--Great night of herping!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
desertanimal
5000th post--Great night of herping!

I have been waiting all week to make my 5000th post, because I wanted it to be a good one and I knew I was going herping tonight. I rarely road cruise because it uses gas, and I don't really even go herping that often. But, my in-laws now like to go (and will pay for gas ), so we made a date and went way out east of Phoenix tonight. They picked me up at 5pm and I got back at midnight. But it was worth the time. I got to see 4 snakes I've never seen before. They're nothing special, really, but like I said, I don't go herping much, so it was neat for me.

First find, Crotalus atrox (WDB). Little 'un. A little testy, too, and didn't want to ride the hook, so I just got pics where I found him. Nothing too pretty, but the snake itself is!

Next, we came across a Cali king, Lampropeltis getula. Finding a live one was actually a lifer for me. I really, really like these guys and I think they'll be my next CB snake purchase. This one was totally chill. I picked him up and kept him while continuing our cruising, and then took him back on the way out for photos. He was unperturbed. Last two pics are of him apparently hunting right after I put him down. He was smelling, smelling, and then cruising. Smelling, smelling, looking in a hole, cruising. No worse for wear from the car ride, that's for sure!

Oh! What's in here, I wonder?

Ah. Nothing was in there. Keep on keeping on . . .

Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
desertanimal
Next I found another lifer. This didn't even look like a snake in the road to me, since it was all the wrong shape. I'm used to looking for long things. But when a 'winder is moving across your field of vision, it doesn't look like a snake at all until you get close to it. This was a lifer that I was pretty excited about. They feel completely different when you're manipulating them with the hook than the straight-ahead movers do. At least I thought so.

Crotalus cerastes

Solifugid. No gushing with these. They still look remarkably like muppets to me ever single time I see them. Fearsome, bitey muppet arachnids.

Glossy snake. Arizona elegans. Lifer as well. We found one DOR before this one, so it was nice to find a live one. These guys are very nice. Zero testy-factor. Although I guess it musked me, because my hands didn't smell so good after catching it. But it was a very low-key musk. No thrashing silliness and it hardly smelled. Nothing like a garter snake or ringneck. Best musking I've ever suffered.

Then a desert nightsake. Hypsighlena chlorphaea. A tiny one. Maybe 12 inches. Lifer for me, and very scary with the head-flattening. It appeared to have suffered some insult and had a small bit of innards protruding from the vent (dried), but it was spunky and getting around just fine, so I helped it off the road and decided to let nature take its course, whatever it may be. I couldn't bring myself to intervene.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
desertanimal
Next I found a small and very handsome gopher snake, Pituophis catenifer. I just love how vibrant these guys' markings are when they're young. I have met some huffy gophers in my time, and some bitey ones, too, but they seem to be pretty relaxed when they're young.

And last, but not least, the (legally collected) new beaux for my lady gecko. He is big, he is fat, he is handsome, he is strangely un-shy, he isn't even very sensitive to light, and he has his full original tail as a full-grown male! I'm very happy I didn't hit him with my tire. I am smitten with him already. I hope he loves roaches as much as his betrothed.

That marks the end of a very good night! Goodnight!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
lefty_mussolini
Wow... some great pics of some REALLY great finds.
All of what you found were my favorites to find in SoCal. You brought back some good memories for me.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Nanci
Great pics! What an excellent night!! My favorites are the Cali king and the gecko.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
El Jefe
Great finds and great pics. I am hoping to do some AZ herping in July and hope I have as good luck.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
The_Thunderer
Just awesome finds! I've been fortunate to come across all of them except for the glossy snake and the sidewinder... THAT is something I'm still waiting on.

I really love the Cal Kings too... Just awesome snakes. The Desert Night Snakes I've caught here are even smaller... A friend brought one by just yesterday wondering if it were "dangerous". I told him to just put it back where he found it and it wouldn't cause him any problems.

Congrats on the finds and KUDOS for such great shots!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
tsst
Cool trip desertanimal!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Airidies
Great finds! I love that Cal king. The gecko is really cool looking, hope he gets along with your little lady

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
crackerhead
How lucky are you? lol In-laws that not only like herping but will finance it too! That was one fantastic night of finds. Thanks for sharing.

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google