CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

5000th post--Great night of herping!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
desertanimal
Thanks all! I know, my in-laws are wacky and sometimes a challenge, but overall they are great. Somehow, we get along really well despite the fact that none of us would probably ever be friends if we weren't family. It's nice. Turning around and seeing my parents-in-law perched on the edge of their seats, straining to see out the windshield last night was pretty adorable. At one point it was very quiet in the car, and we'd been out for 4 hours or so, so I asked if they were bored, and to a person they said, quietly and with concentration, "No, I'm looking for snakes." LOL! They're not too good at finding them, to be honest, so they have to look pretty hard.

Jeff--don't be a stranger if you're in the PHX area! I bet Bill will be all settled in by then and would be up for going out, too.

The boy gecko is so cute! He reminds me more of a leo than any Western banded I've seen, because he looks at me. So adorable.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal View Post
Jeff--don't be a stranger if you're in the PHX area! I bet Bill will be all settled in by then and would be up for going out, too.
Yeah, in March I mentioned it and he was game. If my plans work out (i.e. can move our remaining live critters), I will be PHX bound and would love to do some herping. It'll be July and not quite the best time but it will be the only time I have.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Stormy
It's stuff like this that is really making me consider a move to AZ after I graduate if I can get a job there. Great pics!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
I thoroughly enjoyed every single photo. Except that bug. OMD, it's ugly and scary looking! LOL! I found the sidewinder fascinating, the king and gopher snakes incredibly beautiful, and that little leo is just adorable :-).

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Outcast
Stormy, Louisiana has a lot of good herping too.

Desertanimal, Those are some amazing animals you found, and your new gecko is really cool!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #16
Stormy
They do, not from here though and no clue where to go or how to get there. Long story that im not going to muddle the thread with.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
alan
Wow, four lifers in one road cruise night? Good timing on your in-laws' part, that was a great opportunity.
I like your viper close-ups, that diamond back is a nice looking snake.
Thanks for carrying a camera. These road cruise threads are great....some day...some day I'll go to a place where there are snakes on the streets.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
DuneDiva
Nice finds and gorgeous pics! Thanx for sharing!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
restes
What beautiful creatures. That Leo is fantastic looking! I am still terrified of rattles with heads on them like that! Anything that can kill me I doubt I would even get close enough for a decent picture. More power to you though!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Riyeko
I will probably never own hots in the near or far future, but ive always found them facinating and as a young kid we used to catch them and keep them (kept a water moccassin for two years until my family had to move and then gave her to the conservation dept. for educational purposes).

Anyway, your Crotalus cerastes reminds me of the time my family was on a country drive (just driving backroads randomly), and he thought he drove over a large branch in the road.
Turned out to be a western diamond back rattler.
Thing was probably 6-7 feet long and just... beautiful in the dangerous sense.
First rattler I ever saw up close.

Those things are scary and beautiful!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google