CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

"New to Me" Species

Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
ShelbyScott
"New to Me" Species

I've never officially gone "herping," as in turning over logs and rocks looking for snakes, lizards, etc. But recently I ran into a few surprises.
First, I found a ringneck snake (a colubrid!) that I had never heard of or seen before. I live in Tennessee, and neither my mom nor I had seen one before. I am familiar with all venomous snakes in Tennessee, so I knew at least this was not one of them. I found out later that they are "slightly" venomous. Oops. Even though it musked on me, I fell in love. I regret letting it go. I should have kept it. So beautiful

Then this big guy/girl was making its way through my front yard. Definitely a snapping turtle, I made sure to keep my distance.

Finally, this poor thing was trapped in my garage. When I found it and put it in the grass, it had no fight left. Didn't even budge. After I gave it some water, it felt good enough to scurry off for some food. And yes that is the cap of a water bottle. It drank from it like a dog and I was thoroughly amused. Glad I saved it

Very excited to post in this topic. Maybe one day I'll get to go "herping" for real!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
ravendance
Awwww cute!!! (for all of them). The one time I went herping (was actually looking for crayfish, but) I saw a snapping turtle and a painted turtle. Haven't seen any "wild" geckos or snakes in a very very long time

Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
TyeW
Nice finds! Herping is definitely rewarding, even if you see nothing, it's an excuse to get out!

Old 09-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
Okay, that lizard picture is just too cute. I love the ringneck, too. I think they're really beautiful snakes.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Nanci
Cool pics! I think ring necks are difficult to keep- it's best you let it go.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
ShelbyScott
Thanks all! I was really excited when I found all of them. I'm still kicking myself for letting go of the ring neck, but I know it would have been very high maintenance. I hope the little guy/girl made it okay in the world.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Jupiter
Hey just about a week ago I went and there was a tarp covering about oh I don't know, 15sq ft of ground next to my back porch or so, I went to move it and a garter snake ran across my foot, I caught it by its tail and showed it around, then went and turned it loose back behind the porch, and went to move the tarp some more and a baby garter snake and a ring neck came shooting out from under it! I tried to catch the ring neck but it just managed to escape under the porch, it was the first one id seen in years. Although we do have copperheads and rattlesnakes around where I live, I went ahead and put the tarp back where It was, maybe it will attract more serpent friends that I will be able to catch and document. If so I'll be sure to post on here sometime.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Jupiter
Edit to above post: Unless it's a copperhead or rattlesnake, then I might JUST document it's appearance via a picture. Lol

Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
ShelbyScott
Lol! I wish snakes popped up more often. I was very excited to hold the ring neck. I had honestly never seen one before. And I can't remember the last time I saw a garter snake...either way, my dad is terrified and unfortunately will kill any snake that is too close to him. :/

Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Jupiter
Oh yea I know what ya mean, most people around here (literally all of them except me and my dad) kill any snake they ever see. Some people let the green snakes go, but other than that, they all die my dad only kills the copperheads/rattle snakes when they're some what close to houses. Better I suppose, but still, I wish people around here where more educated about snakes in general.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google