CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Milk eating lizard

Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Jonathan P
Milk eating lizard

As some of you know I got a mismarked Albino Nelson's inexpensively at Petco. I has been a poor eater when it comes to pinkies - ate 1. But now getting voracious with lizards. First I had to knock out the lizards for him to catch them, then insure the lizard was within an inch or so of him. This time he took it down from the lid of the small feeding container I use and fought it until he could subdue it himself. I am adding small bits of scented pinkies after the lizard and he is beginning to take them easier.

I think the pictures tell the story of the lizard take-down though:

Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Taceas
Interesting. And very pretty snake.

Although, why not offer him pre-killed or f/t anoles? I did the live anole thing once, and it broke the skin on a hatchling corn. So never again with that, they have a tremendous bite when they want to.

If he's that hungry for anoles, try anole saliva on a pink, it may work better in the end. Not to mention cheaper. Keep a "pet" anole and make him bite pinks. Such torture.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Jonathan P
I used the wrong term when I said scented. I have been allowing the "pet anoles" - as they are fed well for a few days with gut loaded crickets and calcium powder - to bite on to some pinkies, but have been unsuccessful at getting him to eat a whole pinky yet. Each time I try after about 7-9 days from the last feed he starts to take it down then stops and "spits" it out about half way down. The pinks are smaller than the lizards, so I assume the size of the prey isn't the issue. But I do feed pinky parts that have been with the pet lizards each time. After the lizard he will take partial pinkies with lizard saliva on them.

It really is taking a bit of patience, but at least my kids like having crickets and lizards in the house. Even knowing they are nothing but food. Not to bad for 3 & 5 year old girls whose mother can't even be in the same room as a feeding snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google