CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

2 Lifers

Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
tyflier
2 Lifers

Went out tonight in hopes of finding a lifer Mojave Patchnose, and was successful. I';ve seen 5 or 6 DOR, and one live one that I never got a picture of or even touched. Toinight I caught a nice Juvenile.

I must say he lived up to his reputation by striking, lunging and biting me more times than I could count. He was fun. Sorry the pictures aren't better, but really...if I would have let go of his tail, he would have been gone quicker than my camera could have focused and fired.

I also came across a Great Basin Collared Lizard. I have seen one before, I think, but the photos were crap and I was too far away to positively ID it. So this one counts...

Anyhow...Had a good night tonight. Thanks for coming along!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Nanci
Cool! That patchnose is gorgeous!!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
medusacoils
Once again, some gorgeous Pics!! That pic of the collared lizzard is great!

Without trying to hijack this thread, any luck on the dealings with your car?

Wayne

Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
ratsncorns
Hmmm, I can't see the pics?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
zeewhiz
sorry for the dumb question, but what does the term "lifers" mean?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
RobbiesCornField
Awesome pics, Chris!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeewhiz View Post
sorry for the dumb question, but what does the term "lifers" mean?
It's actually a vague term that field herpers use, and often means different things to different people. For me, a lifer is any snake or reptile that I have been actively seeking, but haven't found. I do not count dead snakes or snakes that I canot interact with, such as photographing, hooking, holding or whatever. Different people keep track of and count different animals.

Most people that engage in "observation collecting", like bird watchers, whale watchers, herpers, etc. have a mental "tick list" of the animals they would like to find. This is a "Lifer List", and as you find them, you mentally check them off the list.

Both of these animals are ones taht I interacted with for the first time last night. I've seen both alive in the past but for one reason or another they didn;t eet my "criteria" to be called a lifer until last night.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
ratsncorns
I can see the pics now... sweet finds!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
tspuckler
Very nice! I've only seen one Mojave Patchnose and it was in the Las Vegas area. That snake gave quite a chase, but I managed to catch it and get a few photos. It's always nice to find a "lifer," but something as unique as a Patchnose makes the experience even nicer.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
The_Thunderer
Very kewl, Chris!!! Awesome looking snake. The collared lizard is a plus too!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google