CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mouse killing

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Legendteller
Mouse killing

Well we haven't got our cornsnake yet (still waiting for the repticon; hopefully they'll have some) but we're reading and learning all we can beforehand. I recently read that petsmart has had a recall on their frozen mice due to salmonella. If anyone knows if this is still the case or whatever, that would be great because that's where I was planning on getting them. Anyway, I was looking around for other rodent suppliers and was curious, how do they kill their frozen rodents? Do they just put them in the freezer alive and let them die like that or what? I can't imagine them doing the neck dislocation thing on each mouse they package. Does anyone know? Not that it matters because we'll get them where we can, I was just curious.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
NH93
Oh boy... I'd stay far far away from Pet Smart. WAY too expensive!!

Ask around how local suppliers humanely euthanize their rodents. Most use a kind of gas chamber, from what I hear and see. I believe the other methods are becoming more and more unpopular, such as the disc (I think? or neck as you say) dislocation -- and no, putting them in the freezer alive is NOT one of those methods! That is totally inhumane.

There's always people out there with rats and mice it's very surprising! If you are really having trouble finding a supplier, ask around for breeders. They will know a supplier, or breed mice/rats themselves and sometimes will have extra and sell them.

All the best!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
ZiggysMom
I will bet there will be at least one vender at the Repticon that will be selling frozen rodents. If you have a small 6-pack size cooler or even an insulated lunchbox, put a couple of freezer packs in there frozen and have that in the car. After you decide on your new friend, you will be able to discuss with the seller the proper size food. Then buy a couple months worth of food and bring it home frozen.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
Oh boy... I'd stay far far away from Pet Smart. WAY too expensive!!
You said it, sister. I ran out of pinkies because my RodentPro order was put in 2 hours late for shipping last week, so I had to break down and pay the $13 for six REDS. Not even pinkies like the box said. I fed my beebees last night, all three slurped them down, barely having to work them in.

I am in the wrong business.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google