CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #91
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Nice wussy gloves...

She called me, and had absolutely no idea what kind of snake it was, so I was prepared for the worst (just out of sight is my 3ft venomous tongs).

Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #92
Airidies
LOL Nancy!

Nice looking snake

Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #93
hypnoctopus
As the weather begins to heat up here in Chandler, Arizona, we always get many fence lizards in our yard crawling all over our walls. They're very neat little guys, but are extremely fast. I've had success catching them simply by chasing them and catching them by hand as well as using a butterfly net. But this year, my 8 year-old sister and I decided to create a 'lizard trap' using a small tank with crickets in the bottom. It was a success! Here's our first capture:

I've always found with these lizards that once you catch them, they calm right down and will sit nicely still for photos. He was a good-sized one with a nice full tail:

You can see why they're sometimes called 'blue-bellies':

This one also had orange and green on his chin:

I'm fairly certain these are of the sceloporus genus, but does anyone know the full species name? Also, although I wouldn't ever try it (due to possible injury or pesticides), do you think a corn snake would eat one of these?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #94
Christen
Yes the most certainly would. Nice catch!!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #95
HeavenHell
Nice photos hypno!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #96
hypnoctopus
Wow, literally an hour after I released that lizard, three more were in the trap! My neighbor's two kids and my little sister came over to hold them and release them. Do you think tagging them with a dot of colored Sharpie would be harmful to them? I'd be interested to see if we keep catching the same ones.

Starting to run low on cricket bait, though... :P

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #97
Outcast
I think that sharpies are toxic, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #98
VickyChaiTea
We have TONS of garters!

We get tadpoled/frogs as well. Couldn't tell you the species, I just call them "pickles" cause that's what they look like.

I did find a different species of toad once, SO TINY

And we have tons of red backed salamanders!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #99
Outcast
Those lizards look a lot like Urosaurus ornatus, Ornate Tree Lizard. We have those around here.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #100
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Those lizards look a lot like Urosaurus ornatus, Ornate Tree Lizard. We have those around here.
Upon looking it up, I think you're correct. Someone had told me that they were sceloporus lizards, but none of the sources I read mentioned much about them living in the southwest. Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google