• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Building your own rack system

here are some pics of my rack while building it.
the tubs are transparent and not blurry so you can see the snakes.
seize approx. 80x40x25cm.
there's a heatcable in the double backboard and it's controlled by a habistat thermostat

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC02612.jpg

the biggest problem i had building a rack was actually trying to find drawers that would rest completely on it's bottom and not sit up about half an inch, otherwise it wasn't too hard. i used melamine to make it.

CAV said:
2) Lay the tape across the back on the unit and tack the edged to the shelf pieces using small brads. Ensure that the brads are entirely in the clear plastic area on the edge of the heat tape.

May I ask, what's a brad? Is it a tape or glue? or some kind of screw/bolt?

CAV said:
4) Lay the peg board on top of the tape and fasten with nails or screws. Make sure that you don't puncture the tape when attaching the backing.

Not sure I understand. You are laying the back board onto the tape? And fastening the tape with nails??

replover said:
May I ask, what's a brad? Is it a tape or glue? or some kind of screw/bolt?

Not sure I understand. You are laying the back board onto the tape? And fastening the tape with nails??
CAV is not really around, but i will try to answer for him ;)

a brad is a small nail, and he nails the heat tape to the plywood across the back, then he makes a solid back out of the pegbored.

cornsnakekid92 said:
he nails the heat tape to the plywood across the back, then he makes a solid back out of the pegbored.

Thanks, but I don't understand this part. He nails the heat tape onto some plywood... which are strips? Then he puts a pegboard on?

replover said:
Thanks, but I don't understand this part. He nails the heat tape onto some plywood... which are strips? Then he puts a pegboard on?
The plywood is what the top bottom and sides are made of, he buys stripes of the heat tape, then he nail that to the pytoow around the edges...

pretend the red dots are nails, the blue is the heat tape.

Attachments

• rack211.JPG
    rack211.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 204
size of tubes

so a adult corn snake can fit in a 28 quart tub nice and be happy with it?.....and how hot do you usally set the felxxwatt for? that will make it so the temp in the tub are like 85?

howhigh402 said:
so a adult corn snake can fit in a 28 quart tub nice and be happy with it?
Most of my snakes are in 28qt Rubbermaid or Sterlite tubs and seem to be content. The floorspace in a 28qt tub is almost exactly that of a 20gal tank (286cu.in. vs. 288 cu.in.), and most corns only use the bottom of their vivs.

I do have one snake that would not be happy in a 28qt. Lucius, my creamsicle male, is 66" long and not skinny. He has a 30gal tank, and I wouldn't put him in anything smaller. Few corn snakes get to that size, so the 28 qt is a good, general purpose size.

Ok, i actually joined this site just so that i could go onto this forum. So, my question. I would want to run heat tape underneath the cages, towards the back to allow for a hot end and a cool end. So, i was thinking about cutting out a small (maybe 2mm deep) ravine for the heat tape to sit in. Then i was going to tack it down and still cover it with aluminum tape. Ten, in order to reduce friction i was going to put a nice shelf liner on so the bins would slide easily.
I know the only way heat tape will work is to allow it to dissipate. Do you think i will be restricting the flow of the heat too much and could be causing a potential fire?
What i want to do is set each shelf on a dimmer and then buy an on/off thermometer as a backup in case it over heats.
As i look on the heat tape webpages it says never allow the heat to rise above 95 degrees. If i keep covering it, do you think i will have to come close to that 95 degrees?

While i think of it, and sorry for the new message. But everyone has been mentioning heat tape (and yes, i realize the thread in about 2 years old) but what about heat rope? The only reason i ask is because i already have there rope, but i doubt it would heat as well as i would like.

When you create your heat tape ravine, if you do it the whole way to the sides and leave the sides open for air flow, you should be ok with covering it with aluminum tape and shelf liner on the top.

Any heating product should be controlled by a thermostat. That goes for heat tape, heat rope, heat lamps and under tank heaters. If you have a decent thermostat, their is little risk of a heating product overheating.

I purchased and attempted to use heat rope about 2 years ago. It did not reach the temperatures I needed it to. I've heard people have great success (I think those that don't have cold winters), but I was not so lucky. Maybe mine was a fluke batch?

Awesome, thanks.
I am definitely going to wire it to a dimmer switch, and then plug the dimmer switch into an emergengy on/off thermostat. I will tape the thermostat probe directly to the tape itself.
So, here is my plan, and i know it's alot of work. I want to build a rack for five different types of snakes. Hognose, cornsnake, red tail, ball python, and tree boa. So, i wanted to do four aboreal size tubs on the bottom (two on bottom and then two more on top of that) then see if i have enough room to do either short sweater boxes on top of that (do 4 high) or large show boxes (about 5 gal or so) and also fit 4. Then i want to do 4-8 hatchling tubs on top of that. all in the same rack.
Now, this is the fun part for me. I am going to wire seperate dimmer swicthes for each and every level. I'm fine with sodering and electrical tape so all i need to do is buy the wire itself. The reason i was thinking heat rope is because i have 50+ feet. I think i will use that as extra heating for the bottom shelf since it will be for amazon tree boas who need a good amount of humidity.
I have a feeling i am looking at a 9 foot tall rack, if that is the case i would build two instead, one aboreal and one terrestrial. I also wanted to run the electrical on the front, but along the side vertically. lets see if i can't draw it.

|---|---------------------------|
|-o-| |
|---| |
|-o-| |
|---| |

Okay,. now i know you have to use your imagination a bit, but the o's are the dimmers, and the |'s and -'s are solid wood so it's only two shelves high. It would be like having a little side panel for the electrical. I figure it would make it very easy to wire that way. Therefore would allow me to control everything individually for different species. Pretty much the same exact thing Cav did, but with a little side part for the dimmer switches to go in and the heat rop alonf the bottom of each shelf. I don't think i'm skilled enough (or have the tools) to do a grooved divet to put the heat tape in, so i think i'll just have to tape it down with aluminum tape and hope i don't scrape it off too much, lol.
Anyway, that's the idea, i hope i'll have pictures up soon.

So, last question, i promise. I want to draw the heat upwards and was thinkign of putting in as small electrical fan (like the kind used in computers) to either push the heat up, or force it down, and increase airflow. Any of you technical savy people out there know a way to wire that? I have no idea how to change the 120V coming out of the outlet (or 220 depending where you live) into 12v. I'm at a loss and i think it would work really well in the rack system (especially if i want it furniture quality), anyone have any ideas?

You don't really need a fan. The heat will rise anyways and should heat the bins just fine. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone using a fan with a rack system. You'll be fine w/o it.

yeah, it was more of a curiocity thing. I think if heat rises and the bottom (or top) has a higher heat and you want to level it off a fan would be awesome. I'm only thinking of it because i make grandious ideas in my head. Part of my thought process (which i admit, even i can't follow) is i was going to use a solid back, no peg board. So now all that air will be trapped. I also wanted from plexi doors on the front to avoid any possible AWOL snakes from getting into my room full of rodents. Was just a thought...
I think too much.....

i was kinda wondering to my self this so ill ask is this like a home for your snakes or just temporary because they seem too small for a snake

Back