• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live or F/T?

FUNKY....... I think you will keep on spinning this until everyone gives up.... Fortunately all your post will remain here, so anyone coming along will see the truth...Un fortunately (for you) they can all read and will see what we are trying to say to you... I couldn't care less what you do with your snakes, but I do care if someone tries your ideas on how to build muscle tone....

One final post on the risk issue.
If we never fed live because the minimal risk is too much despite possible benefits, then no one should breed corns.

Breeding corns is risky, particularly to the female. Egg binding happens, even to the best of breeders. Egg binding does not always result in death, but it can and does.

It's a risk we take, and we take it for several reasons - in no particular order:

* It's fun and fascinating and educational
* It makes morphs, including poly gene morphs, readily available
* It allows the pet trade to boom without massive commercial collection
* It provides a supply of pets that are far less likely to have parasites

yes, breeding corns has a lot of positives. Feeding live, however, has a lot of risks and the only positive you've been able to come up with is muscle tone in breeding females who don't constrict f/t, which can also be achieved by swimming and exercising your snakes. So, if it's such a small benefit for a very small cross section of snakes, why do you keep defending it so adamantly?

I will never respect your advocacy on this subject.

Hey everyone...I am sorry I even posted/asked this question. I hate to see that everyone is at each others throat. We are here because we care and would like to learn as much as we can for our snakes. We all have our opiniuns and believes. No matter what others say we will do what we believe is right for our snakes. So why argue about it? The point is we are HERE because WE CARE about our SNAKES. I hope we will all recover from this thread. Can't we all get along?

Well we get so heated, because to most of us, caring for our snakes means not putting them in the line of danger.

Yes......that is true. Like I said...we are here because we care about our snakes. I don't think anyone here on there right mind would want to put their snakes in the line of danger.

yes, breeding corns has a lot of positives. Feeding live, however, has a lot of risks and the only positive you've been able to come up with is muscle tone in breeding females who don't constrict f/t, which can also be achieved by swimming and exercising your snakes.

I agree with you. I think it's silly to feed live for muscle tone. There are many other activities that force them to contract their muscles. While they're slithering through your fingers, you can make them work to get all the way through. Don't allow them to perch on you as much as move across you. If you provide an active "snake-life style" you'll have a snake with good muscle tone.

However, I don't know about swimming. I once put my snake in the bath tub (shallow water of course) and he just floated there. I watched for a few seconds and he still didn't move. I picked him up and he was limp. I thought I killed my snake. He then continued to explore up my arm as he'd done before the bath tub. It was an awful experience. Makes me wonder, do snakes need to be "taught" to swim? It would be great if he liked swimming! What great exercise!!!

To what I was saying before though, I think that if you handle your corn for extended periods of time, the lengthened spurt of accelerated heart rate will also help. If your snake constricts f/t it doesn't matter that the prey isn't live. The corn is going to apply the same pressure in its squeeze. I saw this clip on National Geographic and they were measuring the force of small constricting snakes. They measured with corn snakes with both a f/t and a live mouse. The two year old males applied about 8psi to both items of prey. The only difference was the male with the f/t constricted for a shorter period of time.

Also, I like the fact that there is passionate discussion on the forum! It's thought provoking and stimulating (to me). Because we're all different, it's challenging to us. Bashing one another is pointless but having an exciting discussion (I think the number of pages in this thread constitutes 'exciting') is great. It all helps us learn and grow from one another. If there weren't threads like this, people wouldn't be as aware of the risks of feeding live prey or the risks of cohabing or many other seemingly "confrontational" subjects. It's good to talk about it!!! :)

Hey everyone...I am sorry I even posted/asked this question. I hate to see that everyone is at each others throat.

Nah, don't feel bad it's part of the routine here. These threads pop up quite a bit, sometimes it's with different people carrying on the conversation but it's always the same. Some people don't want to see snakes put at risk, others need to defend the risk they take so they aren't seen as needlessly careless with their animals welfare. I just hope when that mouse finally does bite, it's not in a serious place like the face. I know a boa with only half a nostril left because of a nasty bite, he often breathes with his mouth open.

Take care of your animals, everyone! You're all they have.

Oh, and bloodread dad, yeay you agree with me!
As for learning to swim, I usually put mine in a sink so they have the option of getting out, and going back and forth. Also, I don't have a full bath where I live (just a shower). Or, maybe your snake doesn't like to swim. Who knows.

Well than, I am glad you all are enjoying your discussions...lol! You are right...it is great to see everyones opinions. We can all learn from it! Great discussions btw! Keep up the good work...hehe!

Back