• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Morph ID Help

xStaticSnow

I picked up this guy at an expo today (my first ever expo, I’m so glad I found a friend to bring home with me). I was drawn to him right away because he his funky pattern but when I asked the breeder said he was just a normal tessera bred with a cool copper/brown wild type. My initial thought was that he is hypomelanistic... sunkissed maybe? If anyone could clear up my confusion I would be appreciative! He’s also the half brother to my okeetee tessera, so that’s cool too!

Attachments

• 398B603B-51BC-4C46-870B-92BB40DE4454.jpeg
    398B603B-51BC-4C46-870B-92BB40DE4454.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 47
  • F77349BB-4E86-4A0E-AC90-89991C51A6D2.jpeg
    F77349BB-4E86-4A0E-AC90-89991C51A6D2.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 45
  • 86326388-C9C7-4D55-9553-E62F45388C9D.jpeg
    86326388-C9C7-4D55-9553-E62F45388C9D.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 46
Thanks!

Now I'm curious, is it the tessera gene that knocks out the black pigment on the first 1/3 of his belly scales? And the lack of black in his dorsal patterning--is this something he might have inherited from his wild type parent? I've seen pictures of the tessera that produced him and that snake looks much more similar to this snake's half brother. Does it all come down to the fact that there's so much natural variation in the patterning and colors of classic corns? I think the the thing I find most interesting on Virgil is his (lack of) a normal head pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4962.JPG
    IMG_4962.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 36
A lot of natural variation. Also I've noticed that tesseras can have variations of belly pattern. I have tesseras with almost normal belly pattern like a wild type, some like yours with it all pushed to the center in black line or pushed to the edges of the belly almost unnoticeable.
I notched in your first post that the head pattern was a little odd but I have seen similar.

A lot of natural variation. Also I've noticed that tesseras can have variations of belly pattern. I have tesseras with almost normal belly pattern like a wild type, some like yours with it all pushed to the center in black line or pushed to the edges of the belly almost unnoticeable.
I notched in your first post that the head pattern was a little odd but I have seen similar.

Yes, my okeetee tessera has a lot of very dark and defined belly checkers, and they merge to form a solid strip at his tail... I suppose that makes sense for an okeetee. Very cool, thanks for your insight!

I have a similar looking (color-wise) Tessera that I cant determine whether she's a hypo or not. I tried breeding her with an Amber and produced hypo looking clutch. The best thing to do is to test breed her with a Hypo pair.

Back