CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snakes vs Ball Pythons

Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #31
RosieReal
I own both...one of each. Snake #1 was a corn, Snake #2 was a ball python.
I was unprepared for the BP. Even though I thought at the time I was MORE than ready...

The main differences as I see it:

The corn is more active, and smaller. When I am handling Yoshi (the corn) it takes both hands and most of my attention. It really is one on one time...as I dont have the hands or opportunity to do much else (other than maybe watch tv or have a conversation with someone). When I handle Lucy (the BP) she usually gets a coil or two around my arm and just hangs out...but because she tends to be a little more nervous (shes about 2years, and not been handled much until she came to me) I still don't 'do' much while I've got her out...although I do have a hand free to refill a water dish or something like that.

Feeding them...Yoshi (corn) eats MUCH smaller food items, and ALWAYS eats...I swear that guy would eat skydiving. He's only refused once, and he shed the NEXT day and ate shortly after that.
Lucy refuses to eat every third or fourth feeding. And...she eats RATS. they're big. take up more room in the freezer (a lot more), are more off-putting to those not used to dealing with feeders, and a bigger issue when the snake doesn't eat it. (i cant put a rat in my compost...i live in an apartment so dead animal disposal can be an issue).

Attitude: Yoshi is Active, and the one i let all my friends hold. He likes to pretend he's aggressive (lots of tail rattling these days, and even a few 'S' stances) but I've never been struck at...and I've never been bitten.
Lucy is SHY... and timid. I get an 'S' stance from her almost every time I go to handle her...but again, no strikes. No bites. but I also don't let others hold her yet...as I don't know how she would do with someone who was also a little nervous.

haha...and it has to be said: BP's have BIG poop. I've been pooped on by both. Its nothing to be pooped on my a corn...the ball python covers you. Lucy pooped down my back once, and by the time I got the shirt off and saw the damage I couldn't belive it! It was my entire back. As wide as my shoulder blades and down to the bottom of the shirt. She got the pillow I was sitting on too...and my hair. Sounded like a water faucet.
I didn't enjoy it...but getting pooped on is a reality. You gotta be ready.
I was not...lol
What I was unprepared for was the size difference. It takes confidence to handle a snake, and the bigger the snake the more confidence you need. Its not fun to have a pet you are intimidated by...so for your first (of many snakes I'm sure) I would go with a corn. BP's are easy to care for, but sometimes are just harder to GIVE them the care they need. (for example: its easy to provide food...but getting them to eat can be more work). Get a BP next time.
I guess its most important you know lots about the specific animal your getting. how old? feeding records? handled much? any information like that... the more the better.
How frightening is a snake bite for you? because if your worried about getting bitten, its easiest to get over that with a smaller snake. (and get over it you shall! I may have yet to be bitten, but I dont worry about that any more than I worry about getting pooped on...lol)

Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
RosieReal
*sigh* this is another zombie thread that's fooled me...isn't it? they just seem so lifelike...

Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #33
Nroc
WOW, what a bump.

I'll add a little myself.

I decided NOT to get the BP due to it's great girth. I didn't want a snake that got as big around as my forearm. Also, the teeth are more menacing in a BP. The corn was perfect for our needs.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #34
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieReal View Post
*sigh* this is another zombie thread that's fooled me...isn't it? they just seem so lifelike...
It's not your fault, Rosie! I guess 15 year olds don't have that "reading last post date" organ developed yet.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #35
tricksterpup
Quote:
you still did a good post though.. be proud, lol and 2 years later, i still stand by my original post. lol

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
RosieReal
Quote:
It's not your fault, Rosie! I guess 15 year olds don't have that "reading last post date" organ developed yet.
Thanks Lexi! I don't feel quite so silly now...because I did read the last post...I just wash I'd read back farther than the most recent post. I might of seen it was...umm...passed its best before date.
That kind of attention to detail thing doesn't usually happen 'till at least 16. lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
you still did a good post though.. be proud, lol and 2 years later, i still stand by my original post. lol
Now thats a good test of solid advice! Thanks, you saying that really helps...I thought about it pretty hard while I was writing, wanting to give a clear and honest opinion. I was actually -quite- disappointed. I'd put so much thought into it!
...also felt kinda silly for not realizing how old it was.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #37
Tavia
Quote:
Now thats a good test of solid advice! Thanks, you saying that really helps...I thought about it pretty hard while I was writing, wanting to give a clear and honest opinion. I was actually -quite- disappointed. I'd put so much thought into it!
...also felt kinda silly for not realizing how old it was.
Your post was very good though! And I think this is a good question that could stand to be brought back up, as I'm sure there are people still on here that would find this topic useful.
I also agree that a corn in most cases makes a better first snake than a BP for all the above stated reasons.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #38
ShenziSixaxis
If the OP happens to see this, here's my 2 cents.

Quote:
-Which can be handled longer/more w/o stressing them out?
-Which are more prone to biting?
-Which can I let just crawl around on the couch/floor with supervision?
-Personality types... (what kind shows up more often in which snake)
-Anything else that would be good to know....
1. Corn
2. Ball Python
3. Both, probably. An adult corn would probably be better than a little one.
4. Ehh?
5. Corns eat every week throughout their life (unless you do otherwise). BP's two weeks *as my brother says*

You gotta remember as well that a corn will get 6ft TOPS, and will stay slender. A ball python will get AT LEAST 6ft, and definitely bigger if you take care of it. You can generally get a corn at a pet store, and even though it's a jumpy baby, don't let that deter you. All babies think everything bigger than it wants to eat it. If you've had a corn for a long time and it's an adult, it will probably be happy to explore the area calmly, or even sit on your lap or neck.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #39
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenziSixaxis View Post
If the OP happens to see this, here's my 2 cents.

1. Corn
2. Ball Python
3. Both, probably. An adult corn would probably be better than a little one.
4. Ehh?
5. Corns eat every week throughout their life (unless you do otherwise). BP's two weeks *as my brother says*

You gotta remember as well that a corn will get 6ft TOPS, and will stay slender. A ball python will get AT LEAST 6ft, and definitely bigger if you take care of it. You can generally get a corn at a pet store, and even though it's a jumpy baby, don't let that deter you. All babies think everything bigger than it wants to eat it. If you've had a corn for a long time and it's an adult, it will probably be happy to explore the area calmly, or even sit on your lap or neck.
What

No
SOMETIMES adult female BP's attain that length, but certainly not at a minimum. Male BP's you'd struggle to find much larger than 5 and 1/2 ft.

They aren't boa constrictors... they look big because they have fat bodies, but they're in no way particularly long snakes.

Also feel free to let your corn "calmly" explore the area... and good luck finding it after it darts into a vent or something D:

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #40
ShenziSixaxis
Phf, my brother needs to recheck his sources. When I realized I would be able to get another pet, I asked him about his BP, and he said something along these lines: "6ft at least. The guy said 9ft would be normal."

I know with red tailed boas, though, those get an average of over 6ft, up to 12ft?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google