• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cost...

Shann415

Morning everyone!

So since i got my corns, i was buying the food at the herp shows. I have bought twice so far in bulk, and both times i chose to buy from the same person to keep it consistant.

I went to the local pet store yesterday on my break to look at hides and vines and such and happened to go by their freezer section. I was shocked to see that they were charging $100 for 100 hoppers! I paid i think $18 for 50 hoppers (i could be mistaken and paid approx $30, but still). I was just shocked to see that the petstore would list it for that much!!!

More a rant than anything... I'll stick to buying in bulk at the shows to avoid going to the petstore and getting ripped off!

TGIF

One of my friends was paying $1.89 for a pinky mouse at the LPS. I took him to a reptile show and he got 100 pinkies for $19. $170 cheaper...not too shabby!

I am waiting for it to get a tad colder up here so I can buy bulk from out of province two bucks for adult and a buck a pink is killing me but I have mouths to feed so I ante up..

Yeah... That's the way of it. Over here, you can get 50 weanlings for $50.00. Fortunately, I've found a source that gets me RodentPro prices without the shipping... which is GREAT! BUT, because they're a small operation, it is sometimes difficult to plan "pick-up" dates.

Yep, pet store prices HURT. The cheapest place around here charges $1 a pink... ouch. I just got 100 big fat pinks (some are actually peach fuzzies) for $35 from American Rodent Supply at the Tinley Park show... They're also much better quality on the whole. Nice and pink and fresh looking (no freezer burn), with big white milk bands across the tummies.

You should have seen my face when I saw that PetSmart was charging $12 for 6 pinkies.... Over my dead body!

How often do you change up the size that you are feeding?
When i got Corny, the breeder was feeding fuzzies so i continued with that, but as he grew i doubled up and he gladly accepted. Then when i went to get new food and ended up getting Delilah too, i moved up to Hoppers. The next step is adult?

Can i also say, when i saw the hoppers compared to the fuzzies i actually felt bad about feeding them to snakes! They sort of looked cute and pet like. The fuzzies just looked like food! I'm getting better at it, though.

How often do you change up the size that you are feeding?
When i got Corny, the breeder was feeding fuzzies so i continued with that, but as he grew i doubled up and he gladly accepted. Then when i went to get new food and ended up getting Delilah too, i moved up to Hoppers. The next step is adult?

Can i also say, when i saw the hoppers compared to the fuzzies i actually felt bad about feeding them to snakes! They sort of looked cute and pet like. The fuzzies just looked like food! I'm getting better at it, though.

You can simply follow this feeding plan http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106
:)

awesome, thanks francka! I just printed that out

I think its time for me to weigh these guys. No one tell mom i'm going to borrow her kitchen scale to put snakes on :-x

I know being in BFE the local shop charges almost 3 bucks a mouse no matter what size. And I still have to drive a while to get to the shop. So I raise my own along with a friend for both collections. Also now the pet shop buys from me. I also sell to local people(ad in the paper and word of mouth) for 50 cents, anything that hasnt got there eyes open, and 1 dollar for everything else. ASF are higher.

Back