• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heater Help and Recommendations!

texasreb

I've kind of had it with stick-on UTH's. My most recent one is burningly hot. I'm using it for 10 mins on/50 mins off so I don't burn my snake and/or crack the glass until I get something new.

My snake will be 21 years old this year and I go through at least 2 heaters a year for him.

What do y'all recommend? I'm looking for brand and/or type recommendations.

Is sticking them under the tank still the recommended way to go? I see more and more people sticking them on the side. Like I said above, I'm about through with the kind that stick on--send me some alternative ideas please.

All heat sources require a thermostat. Your home Heater doesn't run all the time, it has a thermostat. Plug the thermostat into the wall. Plug the heater into the thermostat. Set the thermostat at the desired temperature (82 to 88 degrees) check it periodically with an infrared thermometer gun and you're good to go. Those heat pad get hot enough to cook a snake. Yet "Most of Us" use them. They are the best way to heat for a reptile, but you have to do it correctly. A little research firsthand would have saved you from this moment.

Just make sure that the snake can get to a cooler section of the cage if it wants to be off the heat. In other words, have a cool end and a warm end of the cage so the snake can pick the temp it wants to be by where it chooses to be in the cage.

As much as is practical, however.

Back