CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Adult corn feeding problem. Urgent.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
As to the earlier problem: If you've only had the snake for a month, split them up and returned them to the same viv, the split up was nowhere near long enough. It took Ferenea over a month to eat after I stopped cohabbing her.
Oh, so you were still co-habbing anyway. So add that to the reasons why she isn't eating. It's a shame your pets are having to go through this learning curve with you. Corns can be co-habbed successfully, it's more common over here and on the continent to keep them in larger vivs, but it doesn't seem to be working out for you, but then of course you must realise that by now?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
JemmaUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Oh, so you were still co-habbing anyway. So add that to the reasons why she isn't eating. It's a shame your pets are having to go through this learning curve with you. Corns can be co-habbed successfully, it's more common over here and on the continent to keep them in larger vivs, but it doesn't seem to be working out for you, but then of course you must realise that by now?
Actually no. I had separated them. But I should have paid more attention to his attempts to get out of the vivarium that he was in and I didnt realise how strong and persistant he was. He eventually managed by dint of much rubbing at the glass to shift it enough to get his nose between it and the wood and that was him gone.

I have put Phantom in there for the moment on her own since its the bigger of the viv's I own - but she still doesnt seem to be thriving so I am probably going to end up losing that one another way... such is life I guess.

Ive looked through the room the snake was in thoroughly, but its open to the hall and two other rooms and at least one of those I cant examine fully because I cant get at things.

will have to wait and see I guess

Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
diamondlil
Be patient, adult corns are surprisingly good at hiding, but with a full belly he shouldn't go too far. Look up on top of wardrobes etc as well as under and on things, along the top of curtain rails too, they are good climbers.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Naagas
When one of my snakes escaped, she was in the bookshelf, behind some books, about 5 feet away. Another time, she was in the closet, about 10 feet away.
Check out cramped, dark places. He probably won't go far, or outside. I bet he is somewhere real close.

Again, if you are worried about your female, take her to the vet.
A snake shouldn't be loosing energy after less than a month of not eating.

Cohabbing=stress=not eating....
also,
moving a snake from cohabbing to its own viv=stress=not eating
(they are sensitive little things, huh?)

But, not eating wouldn't account for weakness.
Neither would stress, unless there is something else wrong with her.

Good luck on finding your guy!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Sweetseraph
I would suggest closing the door and shoving something under the door of the room his cage is in, since he is probably still in the room and at least you can keep him there.

If you're saying you put the non-eater into the escapee's tank....that's another move and more stress. When you find him, she'll be moved yet again. She should just stay in the tank she was in. But her not eating for such a short period is really a non-issue. Relax! Snakes do have different personalities and activity levels, but if you really think she's not well, take her to a vet.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Sinsational
I believe that each new setting you put your snake in, you need to give them time to adjust just like you should when you first get your snake. If you are moving your snake from viv to viv it is probably stressing her out and thus she is not eating.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #17
bitsy
Several changes could well be a factor here. Some Corns don't take kindly to change - my old male goes on a hunger strike if I move him to a new viv. It takes him months to settle again.

If you have a Corn like that then she'll behave as though she's a new arrival in each new home. Hiding away/looking frantically for a way out (depending on inividual habit), being more nervous and going off food. You need to treat her as though she's a new arrival each time - no handling or disturbance and hold off on feeding for a while. You might even consider putting an old towel or some newspapr over the glass part, to avoid her being disturbed by movement outside the tank.

It could be that yours has compounded the stress of being separated (they have to change their behaviour in order to cohab, so separation does involve a period of adjustment) with the stress of tank moves.

In your place, I'd leave her absolutely alone (apart from spot cleans and water changes) for at least ten days - no handling and no attempted feeds. She needs absolute peace to adjust to surroundings and the lack of the other snake. I'm not saying that she "misses" the other snake, just that she needs time to realise that she no longer has to compete for the optimum heat spot, hide etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
JemmaUK
I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt seen it...

two days ago im in the bedroom reading before going to bed and hear something fall in the front room... I go into the front room and what do I see trying to get back into the vivarium but flamenco...

I swear I had all the furniture out in the lounge, kitchen - had the panels off the bath - had the dryer apart - no snake... all the chairs, under any piles of clothes or other bits like old bike tyres... couldnt find hide nor scale of him... and he wanders back...

Hes taken to curling up in the water bowl, but I think thats because I have to fine tune the heat lamp at the moment - its acting a little screwy - but he seems perfectly happy.

The lock is now securely on the vivarium and will remain so - he is a real escape artiste.

really glad he's back safe - was really worried!

Now all I have to do is fill in alot of government forms and get some bits so I can get my bike back on the road....

Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Porro
Congrats on the find! Is the other snake eating yet? Are they still living together?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
diamondlil
So does this mean there are now 2 corns, one with feeding issues, in a vivarium with unstable temperatures? Do you have a pulse-proportional thermostat for the bulb?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google