• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wood getting hot

Firefur

Im currently in the process of building wooden vivariums for my corn snakes one is almost done and the other has been in service for about 2 months today I was dusting the top of the completed viv and getting ready to place the second wooden enclosure ontop of the first when I noticed that the wood directly over the heating element is warm to the touch not to hot to put your hand there for awhile but still noticeably warm. It your basic ceramic light fixture and 60 watt Ceramic heat bulb. Is this normal? Is this a fire hazard? How do I fix this? Any advice is appreciated

Heat rises, so it is normal for the heat to transfer like that. If the surface temperature is getting too high then you can take a piece of structural foam, wrap it in HVAC tape, and install it between the electrical box and the top of the enclosure. That'll deflect more heat downward.

You may need to adjust the placement of your thermostat probe if you add the insulated barrier.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I would worry more about the heat of the wood directly touching/above the light Inside the enclosure. this can be measured with an IR thermometer or one of the little .99 stick on ones. https://startwoodworkingnow.com/how-hot-does-wood-burn/ This article talks about wood starting show damage at temps in the 320 degree range. so you should be safe even if the temps are approaching 200. I do really like Chair's heat shield plan though!

Back