• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I NEED HELP ASAP!

What do you mean the snakes can now be placed in pet homes and that you can move on? Are you getting rid of all your collection and getting out of the corn snake breeding business? Or, are you talking about the last two you have left? It's too bad all this happened... It was a bad thing that happened and there's nothing you can do now, but move on... Wish you all the best in the future and I hope things work out for you.... better than what's happened in the past.

Epidemiologically, whatever it is may not kill every snake. Or the disease state may not have a precise (identical) temporally defined incubation period, latency period, or morbidity.

For example, in mammals, the echoviruses and enteroviruses. They may cause a disease state in some individuals, while some individuals remain asymptomatic, or never get sick. They may kill some individuals, while some never get more than the sniffles or a head cold. Infants and the elderly, for example, may be more susceptible than healthy adolescents and adults.
Note: general diagnosis relies on pre-acute and post-acute antibody titers. And only some certain few subtypes or serotypes of these very small, spring-time viruses are even tested for (in a reference lab type setting).
Although we do not, actually, know what the problem really is ... that is very good news!
Thanks, for the update.
Exactly, Pasodama. Something I expected, and why earlier I alluded to an almost infinite number of potential causes for failure to thrive, wasting away, and death. In all of the snakes mentioned here and in other threads.
The snakes are still dead,...and all having followed an identical path to get there.
The tests came back negative on crypto, the snakes can be placed out into pet homes now and I can move on. Thank you all for everything.
Bob, you have gone above and beyond. You are very welcome. And thanked, as well.

This little guy, although sick and showing signs just like the ones that passed, is obviously a little stronger since he's still alive. It would be really nice for you to have answers as to whats causing this but at least you now have peace of mind knowing that you are not going to have to put all of your snakes down due to crypto.

I'm very glad to hear that crypto isn't involved. I know you still don't know the exact cause, but you also need to realize that everyone loses hatchlings if you're in this hobby long enough. You can go years without an incident, and then suddenly lose a bunch all at once. I've lost count myself as to how many hatchlings, subadults and adults I've lost over the years, many without knowing exactly why.

Since you know it isn't crypto, and all of your other snakes, besides that last sick one, are doing well, unless your heart isn't in it anymore, I see no reason to rehome your entire collection. If your projects rested heavily on the snakes you've lost, I'm sure you can find replacements of exact or similar genetics at an extremely reasonable cost (contact me ;)) so you can continue with your projects.

Thank you Susan, no I was not going to rehome all of my collection. Just the ones from the same place as the dead ones and sick one. I am sorry I should have made that clearer on here. I am still deciding on where I want to go now with future projects. I know the redcoat stuff that I have is on the front burner. Happy Herping All

I have been following this thread for quite some time and I can't remember if I ever posted how terribly sorry I am for this. It makes me very sad that all this fear and tragedy can occur from one persons mistreatment of trust. I am so happy to see that it has been resolved, and I hope there can be some closure now.

Here is what I hope will be one of my last posts on this, it is the hard copy of the test results for the male hatchling. He did manage to keep two meals down then regurged this week again.

Attachments

• results.jpg
    results.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 122
You know, if all they did was a cloacal swab for crypto- then what? How did they test that?? I would not trust any result to be negative unless it was an immunofluorescense assay of a fecal.

Ive read the thread and I really hope that everything turns out okay for the rest of your snakes, and the one male thats sick, gets better.
It sucks to lose animals that you care for.

My good thoughts are with ya!

As an intracellular protozoan parasite, I would be closer to be willing to 100% rule out cryptosporidium if a gastric lavage were performed, or even better, a post-mortem scraping of the gastric lining. Stem to stern, so to speak. Their shedding in fecal specimens is cyclical, not continuous.

As an intracellular protozoan parasite, I would be closer to be willing to 100% rule out cryptosporidium if a gastric lavage were performed, or even better, a post-mortem scraping of the gastric lining. Stem to stern, so to speak. Their shedding in fecal specimens is cyclical, not continuous.

agreed...i thought a gastric lavage WAS performed on this little guy for his crypto testing? or did they decide he was too small to do it?

Gastric lavage is also dependent on the organism shedding. You have to test for the crypto's DNA to be sure the snake 100% has it, or 100% does not.

You know, if all they did was a cloacal swab for crypto- then what? How did they test that?? I would not trust any result to be negative unless it was an immunofluorescense assay of a fecal.

DYK I was told both tests were done with the PCR method we talked about in earlier posts on here.

I don't know on the swab but I do know there was fresh pooh in the box, he poohed on the way to the vet, and they sent that as well.

Sorry for your lost. I think you should make a visit to veterinary doctor and he will tell what is the problem

Update: The last snake I purchased from Doc has died. It was the nigritus and I have no idea why he died. Just found him dead. I really liked that one so I'll have to get another, most likely from a different breeder.

Update: The last snake I purchased from Doc has died. It was the nigritus and I have no idea why he died. Just found him dead. I really liked that one so I'll have to get another, most likely from a different breeder.
I am sorry to hear that, please pm me how the snake was shipped. It is a shame all this has happened and it really seems to most that nothing out of the ordinary has happened at all.

Why am I not surprised? The only really surprising thing is the several people with large, expensive collections who have not heeded the warning signs. Guess what...that makes your collections suspect, too.

Back