CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Scale less Corns anyone?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #351
Candachan
I don't know how I feel about naked snakes, but my initial reaction wasn't a good one. :/

How much do they usually cost?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #352
Suncoast Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
That's not true, suncoast. In the case of animals being bred with severe and debilitating deformities, if you buy them, you're supporting the wrong full breeding of pets. If you pass them up and just keep your mouth shut, they kept getting bred with health problems and die. I am very outspoken about responsible animal breeding. Not only does that have to do with how many animals you breed and if you can find good homes for them, but it has to do with the health of the animals you breed.

I don't have any proof, but I suspect that a scaless snake or reptile in general is going to have issues. It will get hurt very easily, possibly dehydrate, have some unknown internal problems associated with the lack of scales ect. Until I find evidence to the contrary, I am very against breeding them.
A couple of questions Vicky...what morphs do you work with?

Quote:
In the case of animals being bred with severe and debilitating deformities, if you buy them, you're supporting the wrong full breeding of pets.
Couldn't agree more. Do you have any hard observational evidence that the scaleless trait is a severe and debilitating deformity? Oh wait...you have already answered that.

Quote:
I don't have any proof
Quote:
I suspect that a scaless snake or reptile in general is going to have issues. It will get hurt very easily, possibly dehydrate, have some unknown internal problems associated with the lack of scales ect.

And I, from personal examination of a fair number of specimens suspect the exact opposite. My opinion is based on direct evidence. Yours is based on an emotional reaction. Whose should carry more weight, emotion aside?

Quote:
Until I find evidence to the contrary, I am very against breeding them.

So those working with this morph are required to prove that there is no genetic weakness to the gene? You realize that proving a negative is not possible? It is up to those who don't care for this morph to offer evidence that there IS some inherent genetic problem. That's how it is done scientifically.

I don't mean this to be an attack Vicky but this debate is always cluttered by emotion. To a lesser level, those that believe anything but a naturally occurring morph is a no no are reacting just as illogically. Amels have weaker vision. Lavenders are prone to kinking, Sunkissed have that annoying Stargazing thing, Spider Balls wobble etc...etc...

Personally, intergrades and hybrids are a problem to me. That is quite often difficult to see. Scaleless is right out there. Again,...not right or wrong....just a personal preference.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #353
mvervest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candachan View Post
I don't know how I feel about naked snakes, but my initial reaction wasn't a good one. :/

How much do they usually cost?
They go here for 2500-4500€ ( 3250-5850 $ ) depending on size/color(amel)

Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #354
Pal-O-Mine
Rhodesian ridgeback dogs are called "ridgeback" because of a cowlick that runs up their HAIR COAT. A dog with spina-bifidia couldn't walk!

Devon

Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #355
kloe2008
Actually, after askin my mum ( in my opinion one of the best vet nurses in the uk but I'm biased) she said tht a dog with spina bifida could walk depending on the severity of the case... This is also true of humans. I have spina bifida and Im a figure skater lol.. I suffer frm mild back pain and that's it ...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #356
Pal-O-Mine
Okay I was stupid and didn't think my response thru before typing. ( Its 5:30 A.M. when I posted ) What I meant was the ridge in "Ridgeback" is a cowlick in the haircoat. Its not in the skeleton. I never meant it as a slight against people with spina bifidia and I SINCERELY apologize to everyone who took it that way.

Devon

Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #357
kloe2008
Woah na I weren't bein like that! You said nothing detrimental, lot of people think the same init ..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #358
StrangeCargo
I like the scaleless corns (and texas rats). I've talked directly with multiple scaleless TX Rats breeders and Brian B of BHB about the scaleless corns. Everyone gives me the same answers- they ALL shed fine.... they all EAT fine... they all stay hydrated... they are JUST like "normal" corns except missing MOST of their scales.

Scaleless corns and ratsnakes RETAIN their ventral scales- so there's no movement issues.

If you read the scaleless cornsnake history, you'll find out that there is a bit of emoryi blood in them (so technically they are Scaleless Creamscile Corns).

Currently with the cost of Scaleless Corns (due their their extreme rarity) is prohibitively high for most hobbyists. As their price comes down in reach of most- and more and more FACTUAL info is spread throughout the hobby- I believe most people's opinions will change.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #359
diamondlil
Actually the genetics that cause the ridged hair on a Rhodesian ridgeback are associated with a spinal problem, they can have a dermoid sinus, an opening to the spinal column
http://www.dermoids.com/

Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #360
Candachan
There is obviously ways to breed Ridgebacks properly without spinal issues, just like there are ways to prevent the breeding of Hip Dysplasia in Labs and German Shepherds, Deafness in Dalmatians, Stargazing Corns, and the 100's of problems in English Bulldogs. It's up to breeders to be responsible for the health and soundness of their animals, and to do any known tests or evaluations to prove it (just like many of the responsible breeders here that test out their Sunkissed corns BEFORE breeding them for production).

I'll admit that my gut reaction to naked corns isn't a positive one, but I don't really have a reason to support my reaction right now. I think that once they are actually made a bit more common, it will become clear if being scaleless is a disability. For now, it's mostly just a freakish curiosity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google