CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Amelanistic Motley Corn Snake

Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
Rich Z

From my retired SerpenCo.com website.

This cultivar was probably the first recorded corn snake cultivar that combined a genetically recessive trait for color (amelanism) with a genetically recessive trait for pattern (Motley). Although I do not know for certain whom the first person to do this was, I strongly suspect it was Dr. Bernard Bechtel as he was the first person I can remember working with the Motley and most certainly he would have found the multiple homozygous results worth pursuing.

The original stock I worked with in this cultivar was pretty typical of what is now called the Sunglow Motley. Adults would become nearly uniform brilliantly orange colored with very little contrast between the blotching and the ground color. Of course, through the Milk Snake Motley project and others, lines with much more contrast are now being produced and some so much so that they could easily be defined as Candy Cane Motleys. There are no lateral blotches and often there are stripes evident running the length of the body along the sides. Blotches or saddles dorsally are not universally guaranteed, as in some instances you can get individuals that have nearly perfect stripes running dead center down the dorsal surface. The ground color can be encapsulated by the saddles and form perfect circles or more oval shaped areas down the center of the back. Some individuals will also have nearly perfect rectangular blotches on the back to further dazzle you with the variability in, and of, the Motley forms. But one trait that is pretty much universal in identifying this cultivar is the lack of any pattern on the ventral surface. The ventral surface is generally an off-white to yellowish orange coloration. Also, being an amelanistic cultivar, the eyes are red, and the black has been completely extracted from the coloration, leaving mostly oranges, yellows, and reds
[/quote]

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google