CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens A collective field guide to the cultivars and cultigens (morphs) of corn snakes.

Caramel Motley Corn Snake

Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
Rich Z

From my retired SerpenCo.com website.

Quote:

This cultivar was actually a surprise for me. Not a surprise that I would produce them, but a surprise at how attractive and interesting they turned out. The Caramel gene and the Motley gene combined produce an extremely attractive looking animal that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Some are much lighter than others leading me to believe that the phantom 'hypomelanistic' influence evident in the Motley line is showing up here as well. The light ones are spitting images of what I would envision an Amber Motley to look like. Unfortunately, this effect is not evident in the babies and it is only as they mature you see them getting brighter with every subsequent shed skin.

There appears to be some variability in the pattern contrast as well. Some have very bold light colored patterns, whereas others can become nearly uniformly colored with the pattern nearly indistinct from the ground color. These uniform colored ones tend to resemble what I would expect a Caramel Blood Red to look like.

So, as you can see, there is a lot of variability in what any given individual Caramel Motley may turn out looking like. Plus there is the added bonus of many of them being possibly heterozygous for Amelanism as well, which could possibly give you the bonus of some Butter Motleys when you breed them. But wait! There's more! I have also had an Anerythristic Motley hatch from breeding Caramel Motley to Caramel Motley, so this gene is floating around in the mix as well. So if you combine all these possibilities together, there's no telling what might come out of those eggs.

The coloration of the Caramel Motleys can vary quite a bit, just as you see in the Caramels. The darker animals can be very chocolate brown colored with often cream colored blotches dorsally. Some can be more of a uniform grayish bronze color with greenish highlights. Some people getting this cultivar have confessed to me that they became their favorite corn snakes, yet could not put their finger on the reason why. They are hard to describe in words, but you definitely will not be disappointed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
caramel motley corn snake