• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

reputation points

I rcieved a PM a week or two ago after giving negative reputation sayin "don't worry I'm not going to retaliate" How much of this goes on and do folks exchange rep points? Are you all more likely to give Rep points to someone based on the points they gave You wether positive or negitive?

By the way the negative points I gave were based on that one post. Is that how most of you look at this or do you give points based on the persons posts, knowlege, peronality, helpfulness or lack there of over all?

I had a lady this week tell me you couldn't paint over oil based primer with latex paint (which I do for a living and have in bunches & bunches of cages) and didn't give a negative rep. Just corrected her in the thread, no need for scratching (or flogging) others backs unless deemed worthy...

Way to go, Rich! LOL There's always more than one way to skin a cat, hey?

One thing some people have to learn.....consequences.

I rcieved a PM a week or two ago after giving negative reputation sayin "don't worry I'm not going to retaliate" How much of this goes on and do folks exchange rep points? Are you all more likely to give Rep points to someone based on the points they gave You wether positive or negitive?

By the way the negative points I gave were based on that one post. Is that how most of you look at this or do you give points based on the persons posts, knowlege, peronality, helpfulness or lack there of over all?

I certainly can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have a feeling that most people here probably feel this way.

I don't hand out points for the sake of handing them out. If I feel that someone has said something of good use to people on the forum, has said something that was very well thought out, has goon out of their way to find and relate useful information, has been excesively & obviously kind to someone even if it wasn't in the aspects of answering a "corn question", or has brought up a topic that no one thought to bring up and was an excellent idea, then I would hand them points. I don't hand out points because someone is a friend and I definitely don't give negative because someone rubbed me the wrong way. Actualy, I have yet to hand out a negative but came very close a couple times. A person would have to be very rude or intentionally & repeatedly inconsiderate for me to hand them out. OR a person who has been repeatedly told they are giving the wrong information but insists on giving it "just to hear themselves talk". If I feel someone has been misleading in their reply and it is an obvious mistake of thought, I will either try to politely give a reply to say that or, my prefered method, PM them and let them know. There is no reason to embarrass anyone on the forum to make oneself look smarter nor give out negatives for minor problems, in my opinion.

So, in a nutshell, NO, I would not/do not give out points for the sake of friendship and I have never given anyone points because I got them from them - and I suspect most people here are like me on that. In fact, a couple times I would have liked to give points to a person I have already given points to because I felt they deserved them but until I "spread the wealth" more to others, I can't. And I won't just give the points out willy-nilly so I won't be able to do so till I do give out enough. shrug.

I think that the rep points are a fair indicator of people who make an effort to work with the group, learn and understand the corn snake, and share their knowledge and try to be as accurate as they can be.

Well, that was my .02 cents for what is was worth. :)

OHHHH......and I'm glad that all of you guys who lost points for no reason were able to get them back again. I hate it when people act like that person did.
Kudos to Rich!

I needa Poptart cause readin this thread shorenuf gave me a headache!

What are they a teachin kids these days? Ol fashion manners are deader n a possum on a country road! Back when I was a youngen, sombody woulda cleaned yur clock for behavin thata way! :twohammer

elrojo said:
I had a lady this week tell me you couldn't paint over oil based primer with latex paint (which I do for a living and have in bunches & bunches of cages) and didn't give a negative rep.

Who'r you a kiddin Chip? Ida believed ya if youd said you were sniffin paint! :roflmao:

Well I do see that the people I have learned the most from (and I would bet many others have learned from them too) have many green squares, however to play devils advocate. I was here before the rep thing. I now see many posts that seem to be fishing for points. When someone having just purchased thier first snake a few months ago and only became a member here a couple of months ago has close to or over 1,000 posts mostly giving other folks advice, I cant help but feel they are doing this to gain rep power or squares. Personaly I don't mind going through many posts to find something of intrest to me at all and wouldn't want to suggest people refrain from making a lot of posts. I do think it is one of those unintended consequences.
If nothing else I think from the rep power thing I have learned a little bit more about human nature.

Well, on FaunaClassifieds, only paid and verified members can give someone negative reputation points. I could do the same thing here, or even carry it one step further: ONLY contributors can give someone ANY reputation points. Might cut down some of the abuse a bit.

But I will let you all decide what you think is best to do.

Anyone have any problems with my moving this thread to the "Discussions about this site" forum, where I believe it belongs?

Rich,

Yes, it would cut down on abuse...but I think it would also be a detriment to the site.

I think whether you have the ability to pay to become a contributor or not shouldn't limit your involvement in the site. There are still quite a few people out there with 3 to 4 green dots, who aren't contributors (yet).

I don't think abuse is rampant enough to warrant such a limitation, but only carried out by a few idiotic people such as who you have dealt with today. What about writing up a C.O.E. (Code of Ethics) for the use of reputation points, to be mass e-mailed to every member? It would remind them that the flagrant abuse of the reputation scores of others can have a very negative impact on their account here.

I think by letting people have some sort of freedom (even to be a tard) on the site definitely fosters the fact that it's not Kingsuck.com. And that you have the freedom to bring down the Wrath of Snakedom and make them cower in fear, just the same for not obeying the minimal rules here. ;)

And yeah, no problem moving the topic to where it really belongs. =)

Well, the problem arises because people come to the forum, and ask a question without doing a search for their problem.

So they're posting a question which has been answered 200 times, so everyone who has responded before jumps in and responds.

Then, after the answer is given you have people post who say, "So and so already said it all". Well, yes, they did---so why did you need to say that? I guess that doesn't really have anything to do with rep points, but it's still not needed.

With a message board you will always have people who sit online and responed to nearly every thread, just honestly because they have nothing better to do. I've been here since November and I've got 500 posts or so and that averages out to 3 a day. It's pretty easy to post roughly 20 times a week if you find yourself in a heated debate or something of the sort.

The rep point issue doesn't really bother me and there's really no reason to change it, at least I dont think.

Taceas said:
Rich,

Yes, it would cut down on abuse...but I think it would also be a detriment to the site.

I think whether you have the ability to pay to become a contributor or not shouldn't limit your involvement in the site. There are still quite a few people out there with 3 to 4 green dots, who aren't contributors (yet).

I don't think abuse is rampant enough to warrant such a limitation, but only carried out by a few idiotic people such as who you have dealt with today. What about writing up a C.O.E. (Code of Ethics) for the use of reputation points, to be mass e-mailed to every member? It would remind them that the flagrant abuse of the reputation scores of others can have a very negative impact on their account here.

I think by letting people have some sort of freedom (even to be a tard) on the site definitely fosters the fact that it's not Kingsuck.com. And that you have the freedom to bring down the Wrath of Snakedom and make them cower in fear, just the same for not obeying the minimal rules here. ;)

Sorry but no. I have enough work to do rather then explaining basic common etiquette to people. This site runs along fairly well without my being the "heavy", so let's keep it like that. The occasional bad apples can be dealt with as they show up and make themselves known.

Jason B. said:
When someone having just purchased thier first snake a few months ago and only became a member here a couple of months ago has close to or over 1,000 posts mostly giving other folks advice, I cant help but feel they are doing this to gain rep power or squares.

Don't forget to mention the ones that only post in the photo section. Repeatedly throwing a "nice snake" onto every photo that comes along really gets old. :rolleyes:

edited/erased this becuase I read it from a different prespective and realized I was wrong.

Last edited:
Isn't that the whole purpose of having a forum like this? So people can share information, advice, anecdotes, experiences, and ask questions? I like to comment on people's animals when they post pictures, because I like having my pictures commented on. It's kind of disheartening when you spend 2 hours setting them up for a shot, and then weeding through all the pics to get the one good one, only to have no one comment on how pretty she is.

Anyway, I honestly don't think people spend valuable minutes out of their day, every day, for months posting one liners solely to get "rep points" for an online cornsnake forum. That would be dumb. A lot of them are like Joejr14 and I, we just have nothing better to do and really enjoy the interaction on this board! I didn't even know I could get a rep point after 100 posts until I read this thread.

Anyway, y'all take care of yourselves.

I needa Poptart cause readin this thread shorenuf gave me a headache!

Before I reply to the more serious stuff, I have to say Cooter, "keep 'em coming, you do make me laugh. I enjoy your sense of humor." :)

Well, on FaunaClassifieds, only paid and verified members can give someone negative reputation points. I could do the same thing here, or even carry it one step further: ONLY contributors can give someone ANY reputation points. Might cut down some of the abuse a bit.
Sorry but no. I have enough work to do rather then explaining basic common etiquette to people. This site runs along fairly well without my being the "heavy", so let's keep it like that. The occasional bad apples can be dealt with as they show up and make themselves known.

Yeah, I have to agree with Taceas that limiting the point hand out to verified users is not good and I am glad that you are not going to implement that here. Having the finances to be a verified member and having the "intelligence" to use the 'power' wisely do not directly corrolate to each other, sad to say. One thing about this site that is good is we are able to express our thoughts (within reason) freely without having any 100 rules thrown at us and I think that most people on here do a pretty good job of monitoring each other and "call you in" IF the infraction is bad enough to warrent intervention.

You do have a great site here, which is very appreciated by MANY, and I would hate to see a few detractors ruin it.

Anyone have any problems with my moving this thread to the "Discussions about this site" forum, where I believe it belongs?

Not at all. Too bad it couldn't be stickied or something so it staid up top for new people to see it and when people ask we can easily "shoot them" to the sticky.

Well, the problem arises because people come to the forum, and ask a question without doing a search for their problem.

So they're posting a question which has been answered 200 times, so everyone who has responded before jumps in and responds.

Yes, I agree that can get old but I don't think that will ever change. Some people are "young herpers" and haven't had enough "life experiences" to think it out that it would be good to search and sometimes the person is so new to the forum they have no idea they can search. Some just want to see if they can get more info than they found. And some just do it to have a reason to post. I guess it is up to the person reading the "question" what they feel the situation is and if they feel they would like to respond. I certainly wouldn't hold it against a sixteen year old not to understand all the "rules" of etiquette but also don't like to see same person writing dumb questions just to feel important. I don't feel there is any way to avoid either side of the coin so if you feel the person should be answered, ok, if not, ignore it and go on. Not much else can really be done on that.

I like to comment on people's animals when they post pictures, because I like having my pictures commented on. It's kind of disheartening when you spend 2 hours setting them up for a shot, and then weeding through all the pics to get the one good one, only to have no one comment on how pretty she is.

I agree. It's not like many of us have people at home that share our love of herps so it is a great way to enjoy ours and others snakes. So, a few "atta boys" is a nice thing when you spend so much time in the care and such of them.

I remember my very first post on here......my not "so great" pictures of my first three corns. I was nervous about it not knowing anyone here or how it would be taken, but Simon posted welcoming me and saying what nice corns I had. I remember feeling so glad someone said something to me and I felt welcome enough to stay around, learn all I could and get involved. So, I never hesitate to compliment someone who is new and welcome them and also someone who is trying hard to work on their collection and/or care of their animals. And, of course, the ones that make you say...WOW...when you see their snake just HAVE to be replied to ....lol.

Rich, just want to say again, thanks for the time you put into this site.

Rich Z said:
I agree that you may be able to cut down on some of the abuse, but without the option to agree or disagree, I wouldn't feel like a "contributing" member of the forum. I have sent comment to a few other members thanking them for a post that I found particularily helpful, and I think it's important that even us 'newbies' have that oportunity.
Just my 2 cents...

Allow me to clarify my statement.

Sisuitl said:
I like to comment on people's animals when they post pictures, because I like having my pictures commented on. It's kind of disheartening when you spend 2 hours setting them up for a shot, and then weeding through all the pics to get the one good one, only to have no one comment on how pretty she is

I didn't mean to give the impression that I feel it is inappropriate to post on the photo threads; I throw in those comments myself. However, there are a few members that ONLY post on picture threads, and make it a point to hit EVERY SINGLE ONE. Before long they've racked up hundreds of posts without ever having added a single shred of substance to any topic. Maybe it's just me, but I find it rather annoying reading the "nice snake" or "what a beauty" statement from the same person 15 or 20 times a day.

Does that unmuddy the water a little bit? :)

CAV said:
I didn't mean to give the impression that I feel it is inappropriate to post on the photo threads; I throw in those comments myself. However, there are a few members that ONLY post on picture threads, and make it a point to hit EVERY SINGLE ONE. Before long they've racked up hundreds of posts without ever having added a single shred of substance to any topic. Maybe it's just me, but I find it rather annoying reading the "nice snake" or "what a beauty" statement from the same person 15 or 20 times a day.

Does that unmuddy the water a little bit? :)

I agree with you CAV I have only been on this forum nearly 3 months now but I have done what I can to contribute something to the Corn snake society. I also think it is too easy to get rep points and many comments through posting pic’s on the picture thread.

You should limit your self to a few posts per day on that thread, and I think it would be extremely boring to post the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over... well you get the point :crazy02:

Back