CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #51
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
One final comment: I've very disappointed with more than a few people that have responded to this thread---and participate in chat. You know who you are, so I'm not going to call anyone out---but for you folks to sit in chat and laugh at what is said to trolls, or to be in on the comments yourself---and then come here and scold us and tell us we're rude---SHAME on you.
< /irony>

regards,
jazz

Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #52
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Readd that chat log again, Brent. Do you find it interesting that he came in, asked about torts---didn't get a response. Asked again---and got a reply---and then he went off immediately?
Funny, I did read it, 3X now. Did you read my comments? He didn't immediately go off. In fact, he didn't 'go off' until exactly 6 lines after being told to gtfo along with approximately 21 lines after his question. 9 of which could be construed as rude (including the gtfo comment).

Quote:
Okay, if you're 'new' to the boards, do you really notice the _CS at the end of the user names? He thought of that pretty quick, don't you think?
Where does it indicate he was new to the boards in the first 21 lines? Besides, thinking of things quickly is quite the forte' of a few around here. Why is this guy so undeserving of the ability?

Quote:
Mind you, this was after he rudely entered the chat room with this:
Joe_Jo: does n e one know n e thing about tortoises
Please, for the love of God. Tell me, what is so damned rude about that question??!! Especially when compared to "GTFO"???!!! Is it his spelling?! I watch you and Carlos and Serp PWND practically everyone over nothing . . . Do I whine that it's rude? No, sometimes I join in.

Quote:
Where am I going? Imo, this was a kid who was bored---had heard we don't like it when the boa folk come and ruin our chat, and decided to be a wise-ass. This was a setup, not a legit person asking a legit question. This guy wanted to be a pain in the ass---have us freak out, and then cuss us out.
Hilarious!!! To use someone elses expression, was Joe_jo on a grassy knoll with a laptop?

Quote:
Now, since I know you're going to say, "well maybe he was serious, so you should have answered him". Alright, fair enough.
. . . blah blah blah . . .
Furthermore, what in your right mind would lead you to believe that going into a CORNSNAKE chatroom is going to help you answer a question about a friggin tort?!?!
Did you know any of that blah blah blah when he/it/grassy knoll came into the chat room?

Quote:
Why should we have to walk away? Whether it be the boa guys coming in and taking over the chat, or this crap with the trolls, I am damn tired of ignoring people, making a new room, having to boot people, etc etc. Maybe that's wrong, but I'm just tired of doing it. Why can't people have one single shed of decency? It's a real pain to put someone on ignore, and then have them leave and come back over and over again----each time having to put them on ignore. If the chat had a global ignore that would save your options....sure.
So many things to respond to here. I think your own words speak for themselves. I have no idea what was indecent about the way Joe_jo acted BEFORE he was told to "gtfo". Remember, I'm not condoning his behavior, but you really seem to be taking the stance that you did nothing wrong. Your behavior was deplorable.

Quote:
While they might think it's cute to play with the troll, it really screws up the flow of the room. And IMO, we shouldn't have to run away from trolls---that's ridiculous.
And you didn't play with the troll? Interesting.

Quote:
As for the 'private room' bit....what does it matter if it had a password or not?
Srsly?? Private means private. Duh!

Quote:
Again, it is NOT about off topic discussion. Why can't you guys get that through your head. It is about how it is done and the way you present yourself.
Ah, but you have said it IS about off topic discussion so many times and so many ways. Also, you did not and do not present yourself well, and that is what YOU are not taking responsibility for. Bummer, I actually respected you for the changes you made in your behavior much earlier in your presence around here.

Quote:
And Brent, you've been in chat on more than one occasion when something like this has happened and you've done the exact same things we have done, so do not get this 'holier than thou' nonsense---it's absolute garbage. I dont know what your problem is, but it sure seems that you're just interesting in 'fighting' and 'winning a debate', regardless of the actual merit of the debate.
First, where/when have I said that I am not to blame as well? Second, where/when have I EVER told someone to GTFO of any conversation?? You don't have it and won't find it. Don't lump me in with your lower level of picking on people. Do I make comments towards people in chat that I don't agree with, sure do. Do I use vulgar language within the chatroom? NOPE. Do I use vulgar behavior in the chatroom? NOPE. YOU did, and that's what's at issue here. So, buckup little soldier and do the right thing. Clean up your act and get off your own high horse. And I'm not fighting here, nor am I trying to win anything. I don't have any vested interest in chat because I DON"T spend 2-3 hours a night in chat. I'm there maybe 2-3 hours a month.

Quote:
Hey, maybe next time I'm walking down the street and see a group of people talking, I'll walk up and interrupt them and ruin their conversation with some cornsnake chat. I bet they'd like that, don't you think? Come on folks, those people would tell me to STFU, they wouldn't "listen to what I had to say" because what I had just done was extremely rude----to the point that it's hardly ever done in the real world. I have no idea when this became accpetable online.
It's done all the time in the real world. It's how you meet new people. Especially at parties or company get togethers or social events. Dude, you need to get out of CHAT more often and mingle with real people.

Quote:
One final comment: I've very disappointed with more than a few people that have responded to this thread---and participate in chat. You know who you are, so I'm not going to call anyone out---but for you folks to sit in chat and laugh at what is said to trolls, or to be in on the comments yourself---and then come here and scold us and tell us we're rude---SHAME on you.
No, SHAME on you Joe for representing Cornsnakes.com in such a vile manner as "gtfo" for absolutely no reason. Too bad.

D80

Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #53
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARattler40
I would consider this a valid point if there were people actually requesting help in the chat room, because when someone finally does have a serious question, it usually gets answered rather quickly. But there is a huge difference between the every day newbie coming in to ask a snake question and some idiot going in there to literally demand answers (which can usually be found on Google). I think it's pretty much understood people will respond better when someone asks for help politely than when they go in there blasting and flooding for info about random species of animals many of us have never even dealt with.
Carolos, right on with what you posted below this, and I agree with what you posted above for the most part, but what I fail to see is where this Joe_jo guy demanded answers. Besides, is there a newbie check before coming through the doors of the chatroom? Is there a knowledge level test that must be passed before we can ask/answer any questions? I blame Serp for my newfound look on the forums (and chat) with a comment he made a year or two ago about what is so wrong about helping newbies and answering the same questions over and over again. SO WHAT if it happens again and again and again in the chat room? SO WHAT if the questions are 'easy' and can be found anywhere. SO WHAT if the questions are worded with improper syntax and leetspeak. You can choose to answer or you can choose to ignore. Tell me though, when is it appropriate to give someone a "GTFO" before they have done anything to warrant it?! That's the issue here at its most basic form???

D80

Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #54
CARattler40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
Joe_jo guy demanded answers.
He didn't, I'm talking about the general events of the past few weeks or so. Insert a "Y R U GUSY NOT HELPNG ME??????!!!!!" between his initial question and the part where he explodes, and that's been just about every troll who's come into the room recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Besides, is there a newbie check before coming through the doors of the chatroom? Is there a knowledge level test that must be passed before we can ask/answer any questions?
Obviously not, but I think you've misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm trying to point out the difference between someone who's genuinely interested in listening to the advice people are going to give him, and someone who goes in, floods the question a couple times, then yells when nobody responds to him. Also, I don't mean to say that we're only allowed to talk about corns in the Corn chat room, but...would you go to a plumber to fix the transmission on your car? Unfortunately, that's the best way I can put it, but hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
I blame Serp for my newfound look on the forums (and chat) with a comment he made a year or two ago about what is so wrong about helping newbies and answering the same questions over and over again. SO WHAT if it happens again and again and again in the chat room? SO WHAT if the questions are 'easy' and can be found anywhere. SO WHAT if the questions are worded with improper syntax and leetspeak.
Brent, I don't think a single person in that chat room has any problem at all answering a newbie's questions, even if they're the same ones that have been coming up for the past 3-4 years. This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, IMO.

Quote:
when is it appropriate to give someone a "GTFO" before they have done anything to warrant it?! That's the issue here at its most basic form???
To be quite honest with you, I don't know when or if anything deserves that kind of response. I also think it was said under the assumption this person was going to be another one of the trolls from the last week (Joe_Jo was in the room sometime last week. His behavior was just as bad as tonight, IIRC).

Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #55
Rich Z
Well, honestly folks, if I continue to hear people on this site refer to those "Fauna People" in such a condescending manner, then obviously I need to take down the bridge that connects these two sites. Need I remind you that the chat was installed originally for the FaunaClassifieds site, and I only had this site tied into that chat system because a lot of you ASKED for a chat? If I take down the bridge, who do you think is going to be on the wrong side of that chasm?

Seriously, from the amount of rancor it is causing and exposing an obvious conflict between the two sites, is it really in my best interests to have this mud wrestling arena at all? I'll tell you what, I am SERIOUSLY considering just pulling the plug on the chat and being done with it. Obviously some people here cannot handle a real time online conversation such as the chat provides, and I certainly can do well enough without this sort of OPTIONAL aggravation.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #56
Drizzt80
Carlos . . . You sure you're only 16? I have my doubts now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARattler40
He didn't, I'm talking about the general events of the past few weeks or so. Insert a "Y R U GUSY NOT HELPNG ME??????!!!!!" between his initial question and the part where he explodes, and that's been just about every troll who's come into the room recently.
Agreed, and not arguing that point at all. I am arguing the representation that was made from CS.com members. If "GTFO" isn't appropriate in any situation you can think of, there has to be better options to respond to these people than what was represented in the logs Rich shared. The only reason Joe is getting the finger pointed at him is that he tends to be the most vocal in defending himself back. I'm certainly not saying that I am NOT GUILTY either, but I have definitely not lowered myself to the levels displayed in those logs.

Quote:
but...would you go to a plumber to fix the transmission on your car? Unfortunately, that's the best way I can put it, but hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.
Depends, automatic or manual tranny? I do understand where you're coming from.

Quote:
Brent, I don't think a single person in that chat room has any problem at all answering a newbie's questions, even if they're the same ones that have been coming up for the past 3-4 years.
Ah, but this does tend to be the issue at hand quite often ("Use the search button for crying out loud!"), and this issue has an underlying stench of the same problem, trolls or not.

Quote:
To be quite honest with you, I don't know when or if anything deserves that kind of response. I also think it was said under the assumption this person was going to be another one of the trolls from the last week (Joe_Jo was in the room sometime last week. His behavior was just as bad as tonight, IIRC).
Agreed, but two problems . . . A. We all know what assuming things does . . . B. In the logs Rich posted the Trolls were fed.

Again . . . You sure you're not lying about your age?!
D80

Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #57
CMLReptiles
Just to throw some things into this...

Ignore: ever try to function in chat with somebody on ignore? it's near impossible, cause they can still read what you type, and you cant follow the convo.

Now, the "GTFO" was a little premature. But as has been said in the "treatment to newbies" thread, the whole picture isn't seen. Again, the "gtfo" was premature, but as has been stated there's been a BIG problem in chat lately with people coming in and completely ruining chat. Everybody was already annoyed with the events of the last few days, joe-jo just happened to be the unlucky person who had it all come out.

There's no need to close chat, no need to point the finger and place blame. There is a problem with trolls, the people in chat did over-react a little too quickly. End of story, lets move on with our lives.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #58
Vinman
Take yourself out of the picture and read the transcript . With all honesty put yourself in this guy's shoes. See if you would not be offenended. What would it took for anybody to say sorry we can't help you we dont know about torts and you are interupting the conversation at hand try the kingsnake .com forum they have a tort chat and can help you. sorry good luck.
Insted you ignored him and then started making fun of him. Sorry you guys handeled it totaly wrong, total rude to this person . Fact you think you guys own this fourm the whole fourm. Now I see why I get ganged up on. One person makes a rude comment towards someone that is not in the clique, the person give's one back and like bunch of children you round up the troops and gang up on the person . Just like you did to Joe_Jo . You people are some peace of work. Not all of you but most of you . What you did to Joe_Jo was rude, childish and plain wrong . None of you would have liked it done to you. Rich Z you are total right!!! This is why I dont get mad anymore when they do this to me. I take with a grain of salt. They are the ones that get mad, and upset, so I win because they dont get to me . That is their goal, to get me pissed off and it dont work anymore.

On the other hand Rich Z you should make seperate chat rooms for diffrent herps. This would make things simple and no one will have there chat interuped with questions about other herps. Then you will have to deal with people getting mad about someone asking questions not pertaining to the subject at hand even though it maybe about the same herp. It is still no excuse for their conduct.

It makes you more of a person to admit you are wrong then to make excuesses. Sorry for the bad spelling.

Joe_Jo entered the room.
stephen_CS: butthead
CornCrazy_CS: LOL
Serpwidgets_CS: I think that is one of those snakes that will later "prove" that you can cross hypo X hypo and get non-hypos.
CornCrazy_CS: You honestly do not think it is a hypo?
Serpwidgets_CS: With those borders, I really doubt it.
stephen_CS: butt....
CornCrazy_CS: but look at the color of the borders...the melanin is reduced.
Serpwidgets_CS: LOL Stephen.
stephen_CS: heh
Serpwidgets_CS: Dude
hana_CS: This is CORN SNAKE chat
CARattler40_CS: Just ignore it
CARattler40_CS: It'll go away.
Serpwidgets_CS: LOL
CornCrazy_CS: Ummm...does this look like a tortoise room?
terrysangel79_CS: they got shells i think lol
CornCrazy_CS: we are discussing corn snakes...
CornCrazy_CS: LOL
CARattler40_CS: They swim.
breedingcolors_CS: Here are the babies from the first clutch, the second clutch I got 2 amels, 4 normals and this one
breedingcolors_CS: http://www.breedingcolors.com/english/pairing01.html
Joejr14_CS: dis is da cron sankie chat room
Joejr14_CS: gtfo
Weebonilass_CS: <--- checking snakie for hard shell............ nope, no travel trailer
jazzgeek_CS: I know some thing about tortoises.
stephen_CS: they dont swim Carlos
CornCrazy_CS: Their lungs are positioned in a weird place.
CARattler40_CS: SHHH
jazzgeek_CS: and that thing is "Tortoises are not corn snakes".
Joe_Jo: U GUYS ARE ASS HOLES. NO ONE ELSE IS ON AND I HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION. U GUYS DONT GIVE N E ONE A CHANCE TO ASK QUESTIONS. UR %&*!ING RETARDS WHO THINK UR SO COOL WITH UR _CS AT THE END OF YOUR NAMES.
Joejr14_CS: GTFO
breedingcolors_CS: LMAO
Joe_Jo: IT STANDS FOR COCK SUCKERS
Candy_Cane1_CS: GTFO.
Joejr14_CS: You stand for BANNED
Joe_Jo: U !@#$ING PIECES OF %&*!
Serpwidgets_CS: Buhbye
Joe_Jo: ALL OF U R
hana_CS: lol
Joe_Jo: FAGGOTS
Joe_Jo: GAY
Joejr14_CS: and you will be banned
Joe_Jo: SUCK DICK
Joejr14_CS: goodbye!
Serpwidgets_CS: LMAFO
Joe_Jo: LICK ASS HOLE
stephen_CS: n e n e no no e n ting?
Candy_Cane1_CS: I am and only said GTFO.
Joejr14_CS: Don't make me call Rich, Joe_Jo
Joe_Jo: AND HAVE NO RESPECT CUZ U ALL HAVE EACHOTHERS THUMB UP EVERYONE ELSES ASS HOLE
jazzgeek_CS: Welcome to Cornsnake Chat, Oh Childish Twerp With Tourette's.
Serpwidgets_CS: You are a jerk because you couldn't answer Caroline's question.
Joe_Jo: CALL HIM I DONT GIVE A !@#$
Joe_Jo: &*!@ ALL OF U
CornCrazy_CS: LOL@Chuck!
hana_CS: wow.. looks like we've got a live one..
jazzgeek_CS: Joe_Jo, what time is it where you live?
Joe_Jo: LIVE DICK FOR UR MOUTH
stephen_CS: haha
Joe_Jo: PEACE OUT U $%&*ING DICKS
Candy_Cane1_CS: I'd like to know so i can go shoot him in the face
Serpwidgets_CS: Wow, puberty sucks
jazzgeek_CS: ROFLMAO
Joe_Jo has left the room.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #59
Mary-Beth
I don't have anything to say about chat, I've only been there twice, but I have something to say about the "clique". I've never felt like there was a clique here, even when I was a newbie. When I first joined I saw people talking and interacting with each other like they were friends... and that's because they are. Post enough and people will get to know you. Some will like you, some won't. It's the way things work out in the real world too people. There's no secret society of chosen ones here, just a group of people who know and are comfortable with each other.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #60
Tula_Montage
I myself am a bit of a chat fiend, and during the recent months I have spent many a night of insomnia in CS chat. I enjoy the "regulars" whit, humour and conversation we have. I don't enjoy people coming in and acting like total prats, demanding attention on an offtopic discussion.

If I enter a full chatroom, I wait a few mins to read about what they are talking about THEN join in with something constructive. If the conversation does not interest me in any way shape or form, I set myself to away until the tides turn and something I will appreciate more comes about.

Call me crazy but I havent been in chat for more than a week now because of these idiots from fauna and some from CS. When Carlos opened the private room with a fitting title with I immediatly understood, I was in it for a few moments then left. I had no interest in breaking up the regularity of chat, I do like things the way they are. This DOES include the nightly trollip entertainment. Although I rarley join in these slagging matches, I am not hessitant to say GTFO if they cross that fine line between constructive questions and complete stupidity/arrogance.

Let me ask, why is this an issue again?!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread