CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Rep Points

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #51
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes View Post
Rep Points Shmep points.

High post counts....I don't friggin care.

True knowledge/opinion written in a well thought out manner....priceless.

And for a post like that, you get rep points.

Well, you would, if I didn't frivolously give them out over the past 24 hours.

I'm a fan of irony, even when it applies to me.

Dale

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #52
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
Amen, Jeff! I respect this much more than a "whambulance" post about a stupid rep point system on an interwebz forum. *high five!*

I'd rep you, but sadly...well...you know.
Hey, look who beat me to the same sentiment. My partner in crime.

Dale

Old 04-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #53
wade
I am honored and humbled to be the focal point of so many peoples attention. I’m starting to feel like a movie star. My name is on everyone’s tongue. WOW. Such an impact I’ve had all across this great nation and even into Europe. I wonder if this is how Winston Churchill and Dwight D felt? It’s mind boggling.

For the record, I did start a post making light of the rep point system. I did ask for points that I had not earned. I did spam other threads to further my foolishness. I did intentionally call attention to myself. I did make it difficult for other members to over look my foolishness. I did use profanity in one post (sorry Susan). I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN!!

Am I sorry? Nope. Do I regret my actions? Nope. Will I do it again? Probably. Do I plan to debate this a whole lot longer? Nope. Do I covet Robbie’s rep points? Nope. Do I feel like a low down POS no good dog turd on the shoes of America? Nope.

YEA!! HIGH FIVE!! WOOOT?!? (what does that mean?)

Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #54
Maize411
Wade you are simply one of those guys that the site just wouldn't be the same without..A funny yet intelligent individual that knows how to be sincere and at the same time knows how to get a good joke out and take a hit :0) You rock man..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #55
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Wade's a good guy, regardless of these recent potential lapses of judgement. HOWEVER, would certain 15-year olds posting in a similar manner have been responded to as gracefully?
I seem to remember a newb asking for reps a while back, and the mods warned him about soliciting reps...
In fact I see a lack of consistency quite a lot on here, maybe it could be seen as favouritism.
I recall members using two accounts and the mods putting up the ip to show what was happening, then banning them. When I asked if a member was using a spare account I was told that the mods couldn't tell????? Favouritism???
Some members get away with swearing... Favouritism?????
I believe it comes down to who is making the post...
Remember the Christmas card rep thread...
It makes interesting reading now, as some that were complaining about it now advocate the new rep thread...
Lack of consistency... Yes....
I like the thank you system more than the rep system... That way you can see who is thanking who for what... It relates to whether the post was genuinely worth anything.
The problem with the rep system as I see it (two names picked to show the problem and not a personal dig..)
Rich Z has 100 reps he thinks you have made a valid contribution he reps you, you get 1 rep point.
Nanci has 20000 reps she thinks you are funny she reps you, you get 200 rep points.
The balance isn't quite right..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #56
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I seem to remember a newb asking for reps a while back, and the mods warned him about soliciting reps...
In fact I see a lack of consistency quite a lot on here, maybe it could be seen as favouritism.
I recall members using two accounts and the mods putting up the ip to show what was happening, then banning them. When I asked if a member was using a spare account I was told that the mods couldn't tell????? Favouritism???
It makes interesting reading now, as some that were complaining about it now advocate the new rep thread...
I like the thank you system more than the rep system... That way you can see who is thanking who for what... It relates to whether the post was genuinely worth anything.
The problem with the rep system as I see it (two names picked to show the problem and not a personal dig..)
Rich Z has 100 reps he thinks you have made a valid contribution he reps you, you get 1 rep point.
Nanci has 20000 reps she thinks you are funny she reps you, you get 200 rep points.
No two situations are ever identical. Before the infraction system, the mods had only a limited number of ways to "punish" members...PMs, open posts, bannings. We now have a much wider range of actions that we can take. And just because YOU don't see what we've done doesn't mean we did nothing. Accusations of favoritism do not sit well with me. Dealing with open favoritism at work is about all I can handle in that area. We enforce Rich's rules. If he has determined that there is a gray area in many situations and allows that, that is the decision we follow. Rich communicates with us on how we are moderating his forum and we make adjustments accordingly.

The mods can determine if someone is using the same computer for 2 different accounts. It takes some time to determine that so unless we specifically suspect someone of using two accounts to further themselves, we don't usually check. And if they are smart and use 2 separate IP addresses, we simply can't tell.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #57
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Will I do it again? Probably.
I think it would be nice if we'd all just put up a fund to buy a breathalyzer to mount to your PC. That way, you can't log into the internet when your drunk....lol.

Here you go, bud, and remember that we believe in you: http://www.utahaa.org/searchbycity.php

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #58
Nanci
Quote:
Maybe once in a blue moon for something I find outstandingly funny...I also don't rep for wishing me happy birthday or for commenting on my photos. I am probably one of the stingiest reppers there is. But if you feel I, myself have an excess of points, Rich is welcome to set me back to 25 and freeze it there. I'll still be helping people the best I can when others are too busy, too tired of the same old questions, whatever.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #59
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Maybe once in a blue moon for something I find outstandingly funny...I also don't rep for wishing me happy birthday or for commenting on my photos. I am probably one of the stingiest reppers there is. But if you feel I, myself have an excess of points, Rich is welcome to set me back to 25 and freeze it there. I'll still be helping people the best I can when others are too busy, too tired of the same old questions, whatever.
Stop being so touchy over the reps.... Your name was picked as a random example, nothing more intended....
BTW how would I know why you rep people, thats between you and the person you rep.....

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #60
Roy Munson
Susan answered these points very well, but I have a few things to add.

Quote:
The handling of any recent spamming was VERY consistent with the handling of that newb a while back-- nearly identical, in fact. The mods aren't obligated to publicly post our responses to reports and complaints, and we seldom do so. As such, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for any non-mod/non-admin to accurately assess the consistency with which we apply disciplinary measures or warnings. Does this mean that favoritism doesn't exist here? Of course not. Favoritism was the primary force behind the election of the current mod team.

Quote:
Sometimes we CAN'T tell. Example: you and your son are both members here. We can't tell which of you is actually at the keyboard posting from either account. The situations where sock-accounts were identified and dealt with were very clear. I'm not obligated to defend myself further on that point, but I assure you that favoritism wasn't at play.

Quote:
If it's not reported, then there's no guarantee that we see it. Heck, if the "swearing" isn't egregious, I may even see an example myself and ignore it if no one else reports it. I've said it before-- if the mods were to apply the strictest enforcement of the rules at all times, half of the members here would probably be banned or suspended. At times, you may have even been included in that number.

Quote:
I disagree.

Quote:
So what? People are inconsistent. What a revelation. Do you expect the mods to enforce consistency in members' views and behavior? Put $20,000 in my PayPal account, and I'll get right on it.

Quote:
I guess if rep points actually meant something, I'd agree with your point more. Since they don't, I can't really say that I care one way or the other. It doesn't matter how it's handled-- SOMEONE won't like it. One person's rep abuse is another's standard operating procedure. I don't like the "thank you" system myself. Posts aren't worth more or less depending on if "thank yous" or "rep points" are associated with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google