• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rep Points

This is just causing too much bad blood. Sucks seeing people I like and respect reacting to something that Rich already said he was going to do anyway like five year olds whose favorite toy was taken away.
Probably I owe most of my rep to two or three people, if I get zapped to zero I will not be terribly upset.
This morning I gave out a few rep and I was able to rep I believe four people before I "ran out" that is more than I normally rep in one day anyway.
Zappity Doo Dah!!

Does anyone REALLY believe Rich did anything THAT fast and "drastic" without any drama from his end unless he pretty much wanted it done already?

But, Rich, now they can't keep blaming one person and use this as an excuse to use profanity about him. Shame on you for taking that from them.......lol.

This entire situation is obviously been on Rich's mind. He would not have acted so quickly if it was not already a thought, just something for everyone to think about.

I'll bet Rich is glad he has you two here to do his thinking and talking for him. He is such a shy guy by nature.

The "whining" hasn't been about people having more reps than other people. The "whining" has been that some people

Just wanted to establish that there has been whining.

The "whining" has been that some people think reps are so important that they SPAM every active thread to beg people to give them rep points. If people are going to consider them important enough to disrupt every active thread begging for them,

KJ, as a foolish joke, I started one thread. I posted one post on seven or eight other threads. I did not drop a nuclear bomb. I did not rape Mary Poppins. I can imagine the tremendous hardship it caused you to have to overlook those posts.

All I said was that I didn't like the system but didn't care enough one way or the other what happened to it

In fact you didn't care so much you have talked about very little else for the last two days. All you said was what you said over and over and over. I hope you haven't disrupted they system in some way.

All I said was -- but didn't care enough one way or the other -- I didn't appreciate the multiple posts --Its....just....so...darn....funny!

WHY people cared so much either way.....and I'm getting called a bad guy and other nasty names

I don't recall having called you anything KJ. I don't recall having labeled you as a bad guy. You have been terribly distressed by my multiple posts in multiple threads. I understand that you might say things you really don't understand or mean.

I don't recall having called you anything KJ. I don't recall having labeled you as a bad guy. You have been terribly distressed by my multiple posts in multiple threads. I understand that you might say things you really don't understand or mean.

Why do you think so much of what I say has to do specifically with you, wade? I hate to tell you, but you really aren't that large of a blip on my radar. I'm learning to just ignore most of the things you say and do because it is obvious to me that you can give a joke but not take one back. What isn't obvious to me yet is when you have been imbibing an intoxicant and when you have not, and I have never seen much point in conversing with someone while they are under the influence. I'm NOT calling you a drunk - I'm just saying I don't like conversing with people wile they are less than completely sober. I am just not good enough to tell the difference yet. I'm sorry for the AA joke since I seemed to have struck a nerve with that one. Noticed that I dropped that as soon as I realized it really did seem to upset you and/or as soon as you demonstrated you couldn't take jokes like you can give them. I sincerely apologize.

Why do you think so much of what I say has to do specifically with you, wade? I hate to tell you, but you really aren't that large of a blip on my radar. I'm learning to just ignore most of the things you say and do because it is obvious to me that you can give a joke but not take one back. What isn't obvious to me yet is when you have been imbibing an intoxicant and when you have not, and I have never seen much point in conversing with someone while they are under the influence. I'm NOT calling you a drunk - I'm just saying I don't like conversing with people wile they are less than completely sober. I'm sorry for the AA joke since I seemed to have struck a nerve with that one. Noticed that I dropped that as soon as I realized it really did seem to upset you and/or as soon as you demonstrated you couldn't take jokes like you can give them. I sincerely apologize.

God KJ, I thought you died. It took 17 minutes for you to respond.

Well gee, let me think, I guess the fact that you were talking about my Rep Wade Now thread and the big red RWN that got posted "ON MULTIPLE THREADS" was kind of what made me think you were talking about me KJ. And when you went crying to Rich about me using profanity when describing Mike171, that kind of gave it away. I guess your ignoring my posts explains your slow response to my last post.

I took no offense to your comment about AA. I was drinking tequila the night I started this tragedy. I made that comment toward the end of the evening. I’m glad to hear you ignored me to the end. I drink tequila once or twice a month KJ. You can classify me any way you like. Making AA jokes is an easy way to put people down in a subtle way. I’m ok with that, go for it.

I haven’t noticed that you liked conversing with me on any occasion. I guess you must always assume I’m drunk. I understand now.

As for me taking what I dish out, you’re way of the mark my little buddy. Read the threads on this site you love so much. Robbie, Lori, Dale, Eric, Danielle, Elle, I can name dozens of people that I quite like who have thrown poisen arrows at me in the last several days. I think you’ll have a real hard time making a case here.

First off, take the personal snipes to email, please before I have to send a couple of people to the dugout.

Secondly, my main concern with the reputation system is that the numbers have gotten so HUGE with the values that they may possible exceed some design limit in vBulletin and have unpredictable results. That is why I preferred a proportional reduction in points, but with that not being easily done, then what other option do I have?

Actually no, this really hasn't been on my mind at all. Been dealing with LOTS of snakes laying LOTS of eggs, so this is really not much on the radar. But I try to stay somewhat involved here even when I am busy as hell.

Truth of the matter is, I'm pretty incredulous that anyone would get upset over something like this anyway. I've already had to take away negative points because people went crazy with it. And I didn't realize people were using the rep system as an easy-PM system. Not sure that is a real efficient use of server resources, so I may cut back the number of reps per member even further to try to curtail that practice.

And while I am at it, perhaps I will put "Soliciting Rep Points" as an infraction as well, since it does seem rather childish to me, AND a waste of resources here to clutter up threads with such things.

Man, I sure do wish you all would quit giving me things to have to DO something about here. Can't we all just play well together without conflicts and hip deep BS? Is that too tough to do?

Hey Rich...I'm going to toss out an unsolicited opinion and I speak ONLY for myself here....The reason I love the rep system is NOT for the increased points. That's just a fun bonus. I love having the option to notify someone just that easily and let them know that I really like their photo, post, information, whatever it is that I rep someone for....it's so much easier than sending an actual PM. I don't use the rep system AS a way to pm, just to let someone know that THAT post was a good one. With the PMs, you could go to the trouble of copying and pasting the link to the thread and the message, but it's kind of a hassle when you just have a few words to say, PLUS the fact that there's the 3 minute rule on sending PMs. It's hard enough to come here and have five PMs that you can answer very quickly and have to wait for 15 minutes to answer them all.

What if you DID wipe out the rep points? Or curtail them or whatever it is that would make the majority happy, but leave the actual rep feature with unlimited access? No worries about overloading vbulletin, no abuse of points, and less OT posts on threads that say "Ohh, good advice, thanks!" or whatever.

It's late, so please forgive the lack of economy of language...just throwing out some thoughts. I have no idea if this is even an option with your software.

Have a good night, or morning, depending on when you see this, and thanks for reading.

I DO know that vBulletin has an "instant messaging" plug-in available - perhaps that could be installed and used as a replacement for the "repmails" that have led to the "abuse" of the reputation system.

Just another thing to consider.

Dale

Hey Rich...I'm going to toss out an unsolicited opinion and I speak ONLY for myself here....The reason I love the rep system is NOT for the increased points. That's just a fun bonus. I love having the option to notify someone just that easily and let them know that I really like their photo, post, information, whatever it is that I rep someone for....it's so much easier than sending an actual PM. I don't use the rep system AS a way to pm, just to let someone know that THAT post was a good one. With the PMs, you could go to the trouble of copying and pasting the link to the thread and the message, but it's kind of a hassle when you just have a few words to say, PLUS the fact that there's the 3 minute rule on sending PMs. It's hard enough to come here and have five PMs that you can answer very quickly and have to wait for 15 minutes to answer them all.

What if you DID wipe out the rep points? Or curtail them or whatever it is that would make the majority happy, but leave the actual rep feature with unlimited access? No worries about overloading vbulletin, no abuse of points, and less OT posts on threads that say "Ohh, good advice, thanks!" or whatever.

It's late, so please forgive the lack of economy of language...just throwing out some thoughts. I have no idea if this is even an option with your software.

Have a good night, or morning, depending on when you see this, and thanks for reading.

While it apparently is true that the messaging part of the rep system is easier for people to use, it does come with a cost in system resources. All those messages have to be stored on the server, likely indefinitely, because I don't believe any member can actually delete those messages once they are sent. I may be wrong about this since I never really considered looking into it, but from what I recall while setting it up, this certainly seems to be the case.

I put limits on the number of private messages members can have for a reason. And that reason is that we do not have infinite resources on the server. So having a messaging system that is bypassing that sort of limiting control may not be such a hot idea. But I'll have to see what sort of admin controls there are before I decide one way or the other about it. I certainly don't want to stand in the way of people contacting others here, but I also certainly don't want to be unrealistic about what loading we all put on the server, either. We already have some people complaining about getting "Server too busy" messages here, so perhaps there is a reason for that happening........

As for the time delay between private messages, I put that in place when I felt we were having problems with spammers accessing members that way and I just needed to hobble them somewhat.

As for the suggestion about an internal instant messaging system, well I'll have to look into that. But it probably won't be real soon, and I am likely to forget, so if someone will send me a reminder in about a month, hopefully things will be better then than they are now.

While it apparently is true that the messaging part of the rep system is easier for people to use, it does come with a cost in system resources. All those messages have to be stored on the server, likely indefinitely, because I don't believe any member can actually delete those messages once they are sent. I may be wrong about this since I never really considered looking into it, but from what I recall while setting it up, this certainly seems to be the case.

Again, I was just tossing out ideas. I didn't realize that rep messages were archived since they drop off the CP page at 25 max, unlike PMs which, if you're a paying member, are stored at a much higher number if you're lazy like me and don't clear out the in/out boxes on a regular basis.

Anyway, thanks again for reading our opinions and taking the time to answer. I think regardless of how you go about changing things, if you DO change things, your loyal fan base is solid. :)

I didn't realize that rep messages were archived since they drop off the CP page at 25 max

Ditto. I thought the same thing. I guess a lot of us didn't even realize reps could BE a problem on the server end. Shrug? Too bad they aren't just wiped from memory after the first page fills up. :(

This entire situation is obviously been on Rich's mind. He would not have acted so quickly if it was not already a thought, just something for everyone to think about.

Actually no, this really hasn't been on my mind at all.
Truth of the matter is, I'm pretty incredulous that anyone would get upset over something like this anyway.
Thanks for clarifying what goes on in your mind Rich. Not that you owe us that. But I would never presume to speak on the subject of what's on another person's mind. Or I would risk finding myself in a foolish generalization, like the one above.
And I post at this point to personally apologize for you being distracted and disturbed by such trifles, by so many 'spokespeople', and any/every part I have played in this affair.

Thanks for clarifying what goes on in your mind Rich. Not that you owe us that. But I would never presume to speak on the subject of what's on another persons mind. Or I would be in a foolish pickle, like the one above.
And I post at this point to personally apologize for you being distracted and disturbed by such trifles.

All right! The fire starts to die down, so some has to drag out some more dried cow patties to try and get it up and flaming again. Yep, this thread is still funny.

All I've got to say is that maybe it hasn't been on his mind lately, but (emphasis added) if we want to keep dragging stuff up, you may want to read this:
Actually, I was thinking I need to adjust the formula for determining the repuration "power" value. That number has gotten so high that it is losing any meaning for many members. And, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the programmers didn't foresee such large numbers and eventually it will crash the system when a memory variable overflows it's boundaries.

Not saying I will get around to this anytime soon, but it is something I believe I need to do.

I ask again, "Why is this so important that we are even continuing to argue over it at the risk of possibly hurting even more feelings?"

Yes, yes, yes. I've read it all. I don't need a tutorial.
And yes, KJUN you and others are all over this thread like a bad toupee, or vultures over a wildebeest carcass. I congratulate you for having it (somewhat) memorized. And for taking the time to be a co-self-appointed spokesperson for Rich.
However he has made it clear that his primary concern is the server and large numerals and memory.
Your militant denial to allow anyone else to raise a valid counter-point is what keeps this thread alive. And is as telling, in and of itself, in its motives,...as others putting thoughts in Rich's head, and words in his mouth.
But I will make this my last post,....and give you and your camp the opportunity to yet again have the last word.

Back