CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Pet store mice okay?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
MomInCalifornia
Pet store mice okay?

I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
jlindp
I have 3 snakes and have, on many occasions, bought and fed Arctic Mice from Petsmart without any issues. I actually had a hatchling that preferred the Arctic Mice over the pinkies I bought from RodentPro. ;}

Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInCalifornia View Post
I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!
It's fine but it's freaking expensive! Although if you're only feeding one snake, I guess it might not hurt too much. You may want to search for local "mom n pop" shops that may carry rodents for less outrageous prices.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Stars
Expensive compared to buying bulk, yeah. It will still be under 2$ per mouse.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
danielle
I would just seek out local shows its so much cheaper. Also a pinky is way too small a meal for a yearling- most should be on fuzzies or hoppers by then to grow properly- I imgine she's still small due to her diet so get some fuzzies and then move up to hoppers

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInCalifornia View Post

Thanks!
They're pricey (very pricey), but I have given my snake frozen feeders from both petco and petsmart before.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
They're pricey (very pricey), but I have given my snake frozen feeders from both petco and petsmart before.

How is >$2 a week very pricey? She only has one snake to feed

Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
That doesn't change that fact that paying $1-2 a pink is plain ridiculous. I bought 100 pinks/peach fuzzies for $35 - and some would that's too expensive. They simply aren't worth $1-2 a pop. (And since we're a capitalist society, I the consumer get to determine their worth. )

And honestly, I can't help but feel a little bit outraged at the fact that these places produce these animals for so little and then deliberately ring you dry over them. Sorry, I won't be a part of that.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
Compared to the 15-50 cents I can find them for, very pricey.

Even ordering bulk online, even with having to pay shipping charges, I can get a better price than the petstores. The only problem with that is you have to buy so many at a time...and sometimes I just don't have a good chunk of cash lying around.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
JeniDB
I give my hatchling Arctic Mice from PetSmart and he's been fine so far. No problems at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google