CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Reactions from family and friends

Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
PhilyD
Reactions from family and friends

I never thought about this until recently but I just recently got my first BP whom I absolutely adore. I have posted a couple pictures of her on facebook and Instagram and have received some snake hate from folks who don't usually comment at all on anything and the rest of my friends have stayed silent. I usually pretty positive reactions from friends and family on my pics and comments but when I post snake stuff I get like to 2 likes, 2 negative comments and crickets.

Makes me wonder if I just shouldn't bother posting my snake pics.

Do you have reactions like this? Do you just not post snake stuff on facebook?

As an extension I have also had pretty negative reactions from friends and family that I have told about my snakes in person. A real close friend declared that he would never come to my house again.

Not sure how to react to this kind of stuff. As I said I am really new to reptile keeping in general.

Thanks,

Phily D

Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Dragonling
Unfortunately it's a fairly common complaint among those who own snakes, along with other stereotypically hated critters. I have no close family on FB currently (they're all friends with a dummy account) but I do have a few friends who don't really like snakes. I'm pretty lucky in that they are generally either silent or curious but otherwise do not antagonize me over snake photos. Getting negative comments from friends of friends or random strangers though? Welcome to Blocksville, population: them.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
PhilyD
It's not a huge problem or anything. Snakes and eventually other reptiles are a part of my life now. Hopefully people will accept it. It would be cool if I could educate a few folks along the way and maybe even turn 1 or 2. My mother (who is a self proclaimed snake hater) actually said "awww shes cute when I texted her a picture of my daughter (13) holding my Ball Python. So Im counting that as progress.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I don't post anything anywhere hoping for "Likes." If you go around life looking for Likes you're going to be disappointed. Guarantee it.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
PhilyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I don't post anything anywhere hoping for "Likes." If you go around life looking for Likes you're going to be disappointed. Guarantee it.
Really just want the fam to come around. I'm the kind of person who gets excited for other people when they are excited even if its not my thing. Just want to reap what I sow. Positive enthusiasm is infectious.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #6
pitzMike
I do post snake pictures in FB for quite sometime now (probably 2 years already). The initial reaction of my FB friends ranged from disgust to anger over my post as they are afraid of snakes. What I did was post a status message on my wall that whoever doesn't want to see any snake posts from me should either Unfollow or Unfriend me completely (I probably had several people unfriend me). I don't want other people telling what to post on my wall.
Also, befriending other reptile keepers will help since they can appreciate your pets.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Corning
I don’t care much for Facebook. There are a few groups on there that you can posts pictures of your snakes and other reptile lovers will give you kudos. Or thumbs ups or whatever.

You gotta be careful what you say there though cause they go nuts if you have any opinions at all. Corn snakes world wide is one the people’s in scaleless palmetto seem nice and post a lot of neat pictures if your into scaleless.

I don’t know about they python groups.

For some people it helped to start the conversation of why snakes. After a few visits some of my more chickenish friends held the smaller ones. I got to talk to them about why I love my corn snakes the most. From decorating their vivs to low maintenance care once everything is set up.

Most fears of snakes you can squash with a conversation. Afraid of getting bit? I guarantee you a dog bite is going to be 10 x worse then a snake bite. They think they are slimy. That’s not true come check him out. It’s gross that
They kill and eat little mice. Dude you eat baby cows. And I feed frozen thawed so they aren’t killing anything just eating a prepared meal and it’s only once every other week as an adult snake.

Some people your never going to reach. But I bet you can get your mom on board and some of your better friends.

Good luck with that and try and ignore the “noise” you do what makes you happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
PhilyD
Thank you all

Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
FirstSnakeJourney
I've already encountered similar - and I don't even have a snake yet.

Mother just wants to hear nothing about them. I haven't even discussed with her my plans on getting one soon. Thankfully she (and her husband)only visit for an hour or so once every month or so. But she will get pre-warned the first time and I'll probably find a towel or something to drape over the vivarium whilst she's here.

I should add that I frequently filter the family from my Facebook posts (I post things that they don't need to see/hear about and in the case of one brother don't know about).

I have brought up the idea of owning a snake amongst friends on Facebook. Most haven't commented. One friend has turned out to be a snake owner, I think there are others as well on my friends list. One who was initially very anti snakes has actually warmed a little and asking how/why my wish came about. One non-Facebook friend keeps asking for updates on how it's all going.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
PhilyD
I've been hoping that I would flush out some closet snake keepers and reconnect over snakes with someone with whom Im not as close as I could be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google