CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New Rescue, Need Some Advice

Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
jautumn75
Usually when I see they're in blue I cover 2/3rds of the screen lid with a moist towel to boost that humidity up to 60-70% and mine have always shed perfectly that way. (I've never had a snake go into a moist hide on their own) If you ever notice stuck shed, even just the tail let them swim in a warm bath for 45-60 mins and then let them wiggle through a damp towel and it should come right off. I had to do that for a friend of mine who got a ball python at the pet shop and he had shed stuck on his whole head. It was striking at everyone and I told her it's because he couldn't see. After I helped him he was as sweet as can be.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
Corning
When I see one of snakes in blue I put Sphagnum moss that is damp in the favorite hide and that works well for me. Haven’t had any shed problems. I don’t even know what the humidity is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautumn75 View Post
Usually when I see they're in blue I cover 2/3rds of the screen lid with a moist towel to boost that humidity up to 60-70% and mine have always shed perfectly that way. (I've never had a snake go into a moist hide on their own) If you ever notice stuck shed, even just the tail let them swim in a warm bath for 45-60 mins and then let them wiggle through a damp towel and it should come right off. I had to do that for a friend of mine who got a ball python at the pet shop and he had shed stuck on his whole head. It was striking at everyone and I told her it's because he couldn't see. After I helped him he was as sweet as can be.
Okay neat I’ll give the towel trick a try! I’m nervous about the humidity getting too high because of respitory infections. It’s been prettt dry here in Oregon this winter but it’s bormally plenty humid. But up to 70% should be okay during shed time? I’m sure my method wasn’t the best but she only needed abut 10 minutes max to soak her tail and the shed came off! She really hated it so for her I’d probably want to avoid even 45 minutes if I can! Oh wow poor guy!!!! That’s really awesome of you to get it off for him! That sucks for everyone involved but I’m glad he was good after!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
When I see one of snakes in blue I put Sphagnum moss that is damp in the favorite hide and that works well for me. Haven’t had any shed problems. I don’t even know what the humidity is.

Oh thats cool!! I actually just bought some sphagnum moss and have been using it in the corners of their enclosures dry. That’s awesome it’s worked so well I will try that as well! They still go in their hides with the damp moss in there? And I don’t know what you use for substrate but if it’s like aspen do you keep it from getting wet? I’m a little paranoid about mold 😅

Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Corning
I was worried about mold too I wet the moss and squeeze it out really well. It’s usually dry in 2-3 days. I keep doing that till he sheds then I throw it out. Once every 1-2 mo I clean all the “stuff” in the tank with a drop of dawn rinse very well and let air dry a couple hours before I put it back. I have never seen any mold.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #16
regnar
Maybe have it familiarize with yourself first so he knows that you are no harm. Continue to feed it and if you are feeling cautious, use a hook. He will eventually warm up hopefully.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #17
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
I was worried about mold too I wet the moss and squeeze it out really well. It’s usually dry in 2-3 days. I keep doing that till he sheds then I throw it out. Once every 1-2 mo I clean all the “stuff” in the tank with a drop of dawn rinse very well and let air dry a couple hours before I put it back. I have never seen any mold.

That’s wonderful thank you!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #18
jautumn75
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnar View Post
Maybe have it familiarize with yourself first so he knows that you are no harm. Continue to feed it and if you are feeling cautious, use a hook. He will eventually warm up hopefully.
Thanks! He's doing really good so far

Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
jautumn75
Ranger shed today and it was complete!
His first since being rescued. It took him 9 days to complete after he went blue. He ate well tonight and definitely looks healthier. What a difference a month makes!
First pic is just a shot of him at the time he was rescued (for comparison).
The other pics are from today, after his current shed.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #20
Seaweedthesnake
He just looks so much better!!! Glad to hear all is going well

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google