CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Optreptiles
Best captures

Hi everyone, I was wondering, what are the best reptiles and amphibians you have ever caught in the wild? Include pictures if possible. Mine was this spiny softshell turtle that I caught with a friend.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
AliCat37
Yeah, he may be "just" a bullsnake, but he was the first bull snake I ever caught by myself. I'd found rattlers and another bull in the chicken coop before, but that was before I really was into snakes. When I saw this guy half way down a mouse hole I couldn't resist pulling him back up. He had feathers in his mouth and was a little snappy at first (I think he had been eating a mouse), but then he calmed down to the temperament of a corn and sat on my shoulders and was a good friend for a few minutes before I sent him on his merry mouse killing way. The bull snakes are always invited to stay in the chicken coop- though I think he was responsible for the death of one of my chicks a few days earlier.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Christen
Mine would be Smitty my king. She was accidentally dug up my by brother in law last Christmas and I didn't have the heart to make her find a new place to brumate when it was 19 degrees. So in the house she came.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Nanci
And look! Smitty is on the Hide From Hell (with the secret compartment!!)

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Christen
YES SHE IS!!! That thing is long gone now. I hated that thing and I didn't even have anyone that went up into the secret compartment but the little lip around the edge is what made me mad. It never failed that they would hang on for dear life to the edge.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Nanci
Here's one of my favorites! First Gray Rat!!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Here's one of my favorites! First Gray Rat!!
Man, I've never seen a gray rat snake that DARK before. They are much lighter colored up around this area.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Christen
Goodness he is HUGE!!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Nanci
I think the camera angle makes him look a little exaggerated, but he was HUGE. Easily one of the biggest snakes I have caught. And sweet as pie. SOOOOOO hard to put him back!!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Optreptiles
WOW! Is that even a rat snake? I've never seen a rat snake that massive!