CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

parvo and dog vacccine info

Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
sumguy
parvo and dog vacccine info

I know there are more appropriate sites, but I hate making logins for 1 and done type questions. I've bought a 'new' house and will be having future housemates with a dog. They said they wanted to spray the yard with bleach solution to treat for parvo. The dog had parvo several years ago and underwent treatment costing about $1k. I'm not sure which vaccines the dog has had.

Spraying the yard doesn't seem effective to me unless it is saturated and then whats to stop critters from just bringing it back. There are a variety of flowers and other plantings besides the lawn to worry about.

Shouldn't the dog have immunity after being treated for parvo thus making the yard treatment unnecessary? If the dog has had core vaccines, are regular booster shots really required? I've read mixed opinions on this and have never personally owned a dog.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Shiari
Parvo can last in the environment for typically one year, but up to two years. After that, it's dead. If the dog got over parvo, it will have some immunity still. Hopefully, however, the owners would have kept up with yearly boosters.

It isn't critters that bring it, so much as other dogs and people (by bringing it in on shoes, or from touching an infected dog) as the route is fecal-oral. So, basically, an infected dog has to have defecated in the yard, or a person has to have tracked feces from an infected dog into the yard. Panleukopenia can very VERY rarely cross over, and that's a concern with stray and feral cats, but it's not something worth nuking your yard over. Sufficient bleach will kill all the plants.

Yearly vs. every 3-year vaccines depends on the amount of risk, to some degree. One hospital that I worked at was in a high risk area for parvo (sometimes multiple cases every day, during summer) and we vaccinated all dogs for it yearly. Another hospital saw maybe one or two cases a year, and thus after the first yearly booster would vaccinate every 3 years.

Because I am a vet tech and thus can easily bring stuff home on accident, I vaccinate my dog yearly.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
if it's your house you have the right to make the rules

If it was me, I'd say show me proof of health and vaccinations or take a hike

Old 02-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
sumguy
*update* looks like shes getting her shots, fixed, and chipped before moving

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google