CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Controversial Qestion

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #21
Zincubus
And another Imperial Pueblan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
First time I ever had exposure to hybrids was when Bill Gillingham sent me a bunch of pics of the hybrids he was working with in a price list. I was astonished at how unusual and beautifully unique they were. So I ordered several pairs of them from him.

When I got them, honestly I was rather disappointed, as they didn't look like what I was hoping for. Certainly not the variety I had hoped for. I just wrote it off as my order being at the bottom of the barrel, and sucked it up. So I didn't keep them long. This was before the days of the internet, so it had dawned on me that working with animals that each and every one could wind up looking completely different, with no adequate way of marketing them by description without having to take photos of EVERY one of them and sending those pics to EVERY prospective buyer, really wasn't a very smart business plan. Thanks, but no thanks. So I abandoned that project in a hurry. That was the last and only time I can recall knowingly buying anything that was a hybrid. I just never worked up an interest in them again.

Funny about the rumors you can hear in a business when you are in it for a bunch of years. I remember hearing a rumor that one of the original tri-color breeders of days long past used to keep all of his tricolors together in communal pits, and they would breed haphazardly among themselves. So he never knew exactly what the parentage of the babies actually was. When he sold them, he sold them identified based solely on their looks, and nothing else remotely like locality or actual specific and subspecific identifying physical traits. Again, just a rumor I heard, and completely unsubstantiated.

Now another rumor that I heard directly from the horse's mouth, was at one of the Tampa reptile shows. It was a piss poor show (as usual), and I had a brought a bunch of baby (non feeding) gray banded king snakes that I had to move out to people with more time on their hands than I had. Had another vendor come by and offered to buy all of them at the end of the show if I would cut him a deal. Sure... I didn't want to take them back home and fuss with them trying to get them feeding. I didn't sell even one of them, so at the end of the show, I packed the whole lot of them over to his tables and traded them for greenbacks. While he was looking over the graybands, he chuckled and mentioned to me that he will make a killing on those babies. He told me that every year he takes whatever baby graybanded kings he can buy wholesale, then rents a room out in west Texas where he sells the heck out of them as "locality" graybanded king snakes to unsuspecting hunters. Truth? Beats me. Perhaps he was just blowing smoke. But it IS what he told me.

So as for hybrids, heck, no one really knows any longer. The waters were muddied up a long LONG time ago. Perhaps some people still fret over it, but honestly, I don't think anyone needs to lose any sleep over it.

And as for locality animals, well, I believe many people know what I think about that.
Heh, yeah the logistics of ensuring documentation is carried along with the animals and the propensity for people to sometimes be dishonest when money is involved is also my reasoning for just sort of admiring hybrids from afar. AND most "true" localities really. It's one thing when it has a recognizeable phenotype, and in some species locality has some discernable meaning, but with corns? Frankly I don't care much where a "Miami" corn's ancestors were captured, as long as it has a sillver background.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #23
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Heh, yeah the logistics of ensuring documentation is carried along with the animals and the propensity for people to sometimes be dishonest when money is involved is also my reasoning for just sort of admiring hybrids from afar. AND most "true" localities really. It's one thing when it has a recognizeable phenotype, and in some species locality has some discernable meaning, but with corns? Frankly I don't care much where a "Miami" corn's ancestors were captured, as long as it has a sillver background.
Environmental factors play the most part in the phenotypes found in a particular area. In the areas around me you only have to look at the ground cover to imagine the phenotype that you will find. Close to my home there is an abundance of Brazilian Pepper trees that block the sun. Under them is dark soil and you would expect to find anerys well concealed. Just a mile away are tall pine trees and Live Oak trees with rust colored needles and leaves all over the ground. When the sun is shining in the clearings you would barely be able to see a hypo colored corn. Just a few miles away is an area that has limestone exposed under the Live Oak trees. You could expect to find Miami corns in that area. Corns that are not well camouflaged will be hawk food. Albinos would stand out like a sore thumb if moving around during the day.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 AM   #24
Rich Z
Yeah, there is (was?) an area near Wilmington North Carolina where a friend of mine way back when used to hunt for pygmy rattlesnakes. The soil was mostly a reddish colored clay composite, and the pygmies out of that area were just as red as the soil.

Heck, a Caramel corn would be nearly invisible laying among the brown pine needles.

And I've often noticed that many varieties of the Apalachicola kings would look astonishingly similar to a pile of pine cones when coiled up at the base of a pine tree.

And heck, I don't know how many times I have come face to face with a keeled green snake nestled in vines that I didn't see until it snapped into focus right before my eyes.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, there is (was?) an area near Wilmington North Carolina where a friend of mine way back when used to hunt for pygmy rattlesnakes. The soil was mostly a reddish colored clay composite, and the pygmies out of that area were just as red as the soil.

Heck, a Caramel corn would be nearly invisible laying among the brown pine needles.

And I've often noticed that many varieties of the Apalachicola kings would look astonishingly similar to a pile of pine cones when coiled up at the base of a pine tree.

And heck, I don't know how many times I have come face to face with a keeled green snake nestled in vines that I didn't see until it snapped into focus right before my eyes.
I was just pruning dead palm fronds ( eat your heart out up north) and found a shed snake skin about 15 inches long. Then I found another even longer. I've got to remember to look up, instead of looking at the ground all the time. These were 8 feet up the palm. Probably black racers.

I was wondering why the Florida king snakes I found were all black with thin white or silver rings, but if they hunt during the night they sure would be hard to spot.

My brother in the Keys says the Pigmy rattlesnakes he's seen around his little garden pond are pink. I told him I've never seen a pink one, thinking he's talking about an albino, which I'd love to see. I told him to send a picture if he sees another one.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
My brother in the Keys says the Pigmy rattlesnakes he's seen around his little garden pond are pink. I told him I've never seen a pink one, thinking he's talking about an albino, which I'd love to see. I told him to send a picture if he sees another one.
Does he live in Key West? That might explain it.....

Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #27
Twolunger
Watch out now. You don't want the moderator kicking you off your own forum. LOL.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #28
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Watch out now. You don't want the moderator kicking you off your own forum. LOL.
LOL! Not likely. This site doesn't get enough traffic to warrant any moderators any longer. They all apparently got bored of this place too. So I am it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google