CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH and substrate

Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Quasar
Question UTH and substrate

We're going to be getting a baby corn snake in a couple weeks, so right now we're just setting stuff up. We have a 29 gallon glass aquarium we'll be using and heating it with a small reptitherm UTH. I'm wondering if this is big enough? The tank is 30"×13" and the pad is 8"×6". Room temp is generally around 70°. The pad will have a thermostat to regulate the temp. I thought I read somewhere the warm side should be about 1/4-1/3 of the tank, but now I'm now so sure and am wondering if I should go for a larger heat mat.

Also, I'm going to be using Aspen as the substrate for burrowing. Do I need an additional buffer of felt or reptile liner to prevent burns, or is the bedding sufficient?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Twolunger
I'm afraid the heat pad is too small. A larger one with a thermostat is a better choice, but if your thermostat can handle two pads that would even be better. The large pad on one end and the smaller one on the other. The aspen substrate will be fine as long as you can regulate the heat. There's a big difference in aspen substrate. I use aspen shavings so they don't pack down.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Quasar
Thanks for the info. Yeah, when the heating pad came today I looked at it and thought it looked way too small. Maybe I'll use it for the cooler side or return it.

I have the specific ZooMed Aspen snake bedding. I'm not sure if that changes the recommendation.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Twolunger
Many snake keepers/breeders use the ZooMed because of its high absorbancy. i don't like it because I bought a hatchling that died of an impaction due to that aspen two weeks after I bought her. I know it didn't happen at my house because I raise hatchlings on paper towels. Others have told me the small pieces should pass through the snakes, but that info didn't help me. It didn't pass through. So now I use shavings for my larger corns. If I were you I would use the ZooMed, since you already bought it, but feed the baby in another container until it is larger. It should be fine as a substrate, but I can't tell you how deep it should be before it restricts the heat too much. I'd guess at one inch, but perhaps someone who uses it can give you a better answer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google