CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Guessing Askie's Gender

Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
Pine
You can count the scales from the vent to the tip of the tail.
140 or less is a female
150 or more is a male.
The easiest way to do that is to get a good picture and get it as big as you can on a computer and count.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #12
JustinOfCO
I may give that a try. The pic I posted is pretty high-res, and I may get a decent count off of it. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
JustinOfCO
So Askie shed again, and I think I'm going to send the shed into the genetics testing place that Gelshark linked to and get a for sure on gender.

I was also able to count the scales on the shed, and got right about 140, which points toward female. There may have been a few more than 140, but I don't think I would have hit 150.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
JustinOfCO
So I sent Askie's shed in for testing, and got a result back. Turns out my hunch was right, I do have a little female! So her name is now Asklepia.

She's growing like a weed and getting redder and more orange by the day. Still eating like a champ and a good sport about being handled.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
gelshark
Awesome!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #16
SnakeCreations
Hey, that's cool! congrats

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google