CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

New tracking db app

Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Duff
New tracking db app

I've been slowly working on a new herp tracking program for the last several months (when I've had time, which isn't always much), and believe I am just about ready to start beta testing it. Just wanted to throw up a few screenshots and see what people think about the layout and main window setup. Basically, it's organized around racks, so you can set everyone up according to where they actually live. If you setup desired feeding intervals, you will also get a feed warning report popup when starting the program (can also call it manually anytime you want). Very easy to move things around and add/delete racks, so very adaptable to future changes. I've also added a progeny calculator to make it easy to plan for future breedings with any of your current animals. No need to manually select all the genes, just pick their name out of the list. Or pick by morph to select all genes at once. There's some reporting and other things that all these programs have. My reasons for writing it are... a) I'm a glutton for punishment, so figured what better way to self-inflict pain than coding for free (haha)... b) I'm cheap, so why pay for something I can do myself ( )... and c) every other program I've tried/used has always had something I didn't like about it or been too buggy for my tastes. So anyway, just sharing now that I almost have something worth sharing. And if anyone would be interested in helping me beta test this beast, just PM me. I've found a few new bugs this morning, but mostly minor ones, so hoping to have them worked out in a week or so (depending on time), and then should be ready for some real banging. Thanks for looking

Just want to add that I'm not looking to sell this if it gets to final stage, it'll be freeware, so this isn't an attempt to start a new income stream or anything.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Nanci
Looks cool! I'm using Degei right now, and pretty much like it. I'd beta test for you.

Nanci

Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
tyflier
I like the way you can see all of your adults, sub-adults, hatchlings and "singles" with the click of a tab. Very thoughtful and useful.

I also like that you haven't in any way(aparrently) limited it to cornsnakes only, since I can see two BPs right there.

I think it will be a great program, and if it is more stable than the current software I am using, it will be priceless. I'm getting sick of losing data everytime I close the program...Some of my snakes ahve only been owned for 2 weeks, according to my tracking software...and I've had them for several months...

Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Nanci
Herp Care lost data on me. Sometimes I feel like Degei does, too, but then I wonder if I just forgot to enter it...At least Degei lets you archive. I always write on a calendar- to plan feedings, etc., since some are on five days and some are on seven days. So I always have hard copy back up. I like being able to print a history for the vet. It'd also be useful when selling an animal.

Nanci

Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Fenderplayer108
Give me a link to that! Ill beta test this in a heartbeat. Im looking for something better then then Herp Care, I don't like the option of certain food items when im dealing with just snakes.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Jrgh17
I program a bit myself, and I think it looks great! Add me to the list of beta-testers, if you please.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
VinnyJ
I like the way it looks. Count me in as a tester too.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Fenderplayer108
Any idea when we can get this? I wanna start playing around with it lol.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Jay@PJCReptiles
This is awesome Duff. PJ uses Free Herp and she is religous about her record keeping. We would very much like to try this. Could you please send us a copy and we will test it for you and give feedback and maybe suggestions on what you may be able to add to it. Great Idea!
Jay & PJ

Old 04-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Duff
For those that want to play around with this and are willing to work with beta software, the first candidate is up and available for download. Hopefully there won't be any big bugs popping up, but just to be safe, I would continue to save any exisiting data you have recorded elsewhere. If you come up with any bugs or suggestions, you can send them via email to help@savagecorns.com. Looking forward to your input and thanks again to anyone who helps out.

Here's the url to download the file. It's Java based, so should run on anything. If you have a MAC or Linux based machine you'd like to try it on, the installer is Windows based, so just let me know and I can send you just the Java jar file that the app actually runs from.

http://www.savagecorns.com/utils/scerpdb-inst.exe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google