CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Am I feeding enough?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
She did eat yesterday but she wasn't as aggressive about it!! But I will make her comfy and see how it goes thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah sounds common to me for a shed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #22
Karl_Mcknight
no, corns do not shed once a month.

Every snake sheds on its own time as needed. No two snakes are going to act the same.

Somebody mentioned above, "They are designed to go 2 weeks without food if necessary." Huh? I don't even understand that.

A snake can actually live several months without food. Corn snakes are notorious for going on hunger strikes anyway, especially if it's a male, but the females sometimes do too. Just about any snake will go without food during a shed, and if the temperature falls a few degrees they may even "Slow Down" not necessarily a Brumation but I've heard it referred to as a semi-brumation. Anyway their metabolism slows down and so they may not eat if that's the case too.

Speaking of my own experience, my snake Rufus has shed twice since I've had him. His first shed he ate while he was still in blue. But this last time he didn't eat at all. In fact he didn't eat for over 3 weeks, and he's fine.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
no, corns do not shed once a month.

Every snake sheds on its own time as needed. No two snakes are going to act the same.

Somebody mentioned above, "They are designed to go 2 weeks without food if necessary." Huh? I don't even understand that.

A snake can actually live several months without food. Corn snakes are notorious for going on hunger strikes anyway, especially if it's a male, but the females sometimes do too. Just about any snake will go without food during a shed, and if the temperature falls a few degrees they may even "Slow Down" not necessarily a Brumation but I've heard it referred to as a semi-brumation. Anyway their metabolism slows down and so they may not eat if that's the case too.

Speaking of my own experience, my snake Rufus has shed twice since I've had him. His first shed he ate while he was still in blue. But this last time he didn't eat at all. In fact he didn't eat for over 3 weeks, and he's fine.
Yes they can go much longer without food but I'd never go longer than 2 weeks feeding at home. The snake sounds to be in shed so if it doesn't want to eat while in shed and she needs to leave the snake until shed is complete the snake will be fine. That's what I meant.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #24
nicolefowler2005
Ok so she needs more humidity during shed?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Ok so she needs more humidity during shed?

It helps them get their old skin off and helps it release so they don't get parts stuck. Just a suggestion I always got. You can get moss for corns at the pet store. Spritz it with some water and make a hide. I use a little bucket and cut out an entry and place that in. You should usually get sphagnum moss. You can get it dye free.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #26
nicolefowler2005
Ok thank you everyone has been so helpful I just want to make sure my baby has everything she needs to thrive and be happy

Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #27
nicolefowler2005
So how does this look? I put some moss in the cooler side of her viv and in the warmer side so she could choose!!

Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #28
Colorguardchic19
Just keep the moss humid to help her. Also, I tend to clean the tank and replace the substrate after removing the moss because it'll put moisture in the aspen, but that's my preference.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #29
nicolefowler2005
Sounds like a good idea!! So do you only use the moss during shed?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #30
Colorguardchic19
Yeah its just beneficial to help their skin release

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google