CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Surprise Surprise

Old 11-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
nicolefowler2005
Surprise Surprise

So I got my scale in the mail today and was super surprised to find out that Bella only weighs 8g!! So I guess she isn't big enough for double pinkies yet!! I really thought she would be more than that! I'm wondering if the pet store was like way off on her age!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Rigby & Marcy
I've heard that some pet stores feed snakes infrequently to keep costs down and sell them as babies longer. But corns can have naturally different rates of growth. Just feed appropriately and go with it. It's good to have an accurate weight to work with!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
nicolefowler2005
It sure is and I'm glad I waited to get the scale before I upped her to double pinkies!!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
DollysMom
I read where you got a defective scale! So by my math Bella weighs closer to 20 grams if your scale weighs nickels as 2 grams! Sounds like she's ready for double pinks. Sorry you got a bum scale. That almost never happens.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
nicolefowler2005
Thats my luck!! So I'm wondering if that's the case should I feed her another pinky tonight? Today is her day to eat and she had one around 6:00 should I give her another?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
DollysMom
No, I'd just let her digest at this point. No point in risking a regurge by disturbing her. Next feeding will be soon enough for double pinks.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
nicolefowler2005
She just always seems to be starving at every feed!! She strikes and constricts now every time and grabs for them before I can even put them down

Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
DollysMom
She's fine! A strong feeding response is a good thing.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
nicolefowler2005
Ok sorry I'm such a worry wart I'm just a new momma!! I'll calm down soon I promise lol

Old 11-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Ok sorry I'm such a worry wart I'm just a new momma!! I'll calm down soon I promise lol

Don't worry it's pretty natural! Corn are pretty hardy though!! Also, feeding a smaller than normal meal is totally fine. It actually might be better to feed your snake a few smaller than normal meals at first if s/he has been on a maintenance diet.

Good luck, and we're here for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google