CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

So....how overweight is he, and how easily can they slim down?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
LadyJemima
So....how overweight is he, and how easily can they slim down?

I'm looking at this sweet boy, but wow...does he have some hips! I'm not sure I want to launch into adopting a corn with weight issues, because I've read they don't burn it off very quickly, even with extra exercise / handling and a reduced diet. This guy is 3-4 years old, weight 408 g.

How "bad" is this one, and would you advise against adopting an overweight reptile? (Yes, he's missing the tip of his tail. I'm going to guess bad shed).

Old 07-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Tavia
He's actually not too overweight everywhere else, still has some definition of the spine but it is kind of hard to slim a snake down and can be impossible to get rid of the "hips," those bulgy fat deposits.

His hips aren't real bad either but if they are fat, you might not ever be able to get them to go away. They are also in non standard places for snakes to usually get hips, its not impossible for them to develop fat deposits pretty much anywhere on the body, so that might be all those are. But I'd be a little concerned that they could be something less benign, like tumors or something.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Good advice. He's quite pretty but I think I'll pass on him. Don't want a "problem" snake to start out with!

Old 07-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
he doesn't look too bad to me. He's definitely "Healthy." You could feed him on a 3 week or even month interval and see if he loses some weight, but to be honest I don't know it's necessary.

As a point of reference, my snake weighs 405 grams (about the same as that one). Considering I have seen some corn snakes over 1000 grams, 408 really isn't that bad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google