CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

is my snake's skin going to be okay

Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
destinywilder
Unhappy is my snake's skin going to be okay

once again, i run into a problem with my corn snake ive only had for two weeks.
so i was on skype with a couple friends, and they wanted me to take my snake out and show them. so i went over to his tank, to see one of the thermometers almost off of the side of the tank. i thought that was weird, so i pulled it off completely, and i noticed my snake was stuck to it. i panicked so fast, my first thought was that his skin ripped open and he was going to die. i went to my dad sobbing (it was really scary for me lol) and he didnt know what to do, so i woke up my grandparents and they didnt know either. my grampy said to use oil, so my dad and i used q tips and gently sort of rubbed/pushed him off of the tape used to stick the thermometer on. he eventually came off, and he had no injuries that we could see. i just finished fully examining him (i feel bad, i was handling him so roughly to see everything) and there were no deep cuts or skin that was completely pulled off, but there were some very thin, sheer slivers of something that was coming off at some parts. it didnt seem painful, for all i know he could be beginning to shed soon (if he is, im pretty certain its going to be a bad shed) but of course im worried to death, hoping it isnt anything more. this whole experience was so stressful and scary for me and the snake, im worried that this really is going to stress him out for a couple of weeks. any help or insight?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:41 AM   #2
destinywilder
also im wondering about the oil. it was canola oil and he was kind of covered in it and i didnt rub it off, he was pissed after we got him off so i just left him in his tank alone. will the oil do anything?

Old 07-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Please remove any and all tape you have in the cage. Never, ever put tape of any kind in a snake's cage.

As far as "Is your snake's skin going to be ok...." that's a question better asked of a Vet rather than a bunch of strangers on an Internet Message Forum.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Twolunger
If there is still excess oil on him just take him out and let him slither through some dry hand toweling and put him back in his vivarium. It's probable than some of his scales were damaged, but that isn't a life threatening condition. Keep his vivarium very clean so there's less chance of infection if the skin was broken. A shed may have him back to normal. Oil will usually break down glue, but you have to be patient and try not to force the issue. I have had people give me snakes stuck to rodent glue traps and the oil does work to free them. Keep an eye on the area that may have been damaged.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
destinywilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Please remove any and all tape you have in the cage. Never, ever put tape of any kind in a snake's cage.

As far as "Is your snake's skin going to be ok...." that's a question better asked of a Vet rather than a bunch of strangers on an Internet Message Forum.
well, the thermometer came with the cage and it came with tape backing to stick it on, there was no velcro or anything. i didnt choose the tape to be on there, it cane like that. also, the closest exotic vet is almost an hour away and its the fourth of july and i know my grandparents wont take me, so this was my best shot.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinywilder View Post
well, the thermometer came with the cage and it came with tape backing to stick it on, there was no velcro or anything. i didnt choose the tape to be on there, it cane like that.....
1st Cardinal rule of snake keeping - you never use any kind of Tape inside the cage.

Velcro can be bought almost anywhere, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware Stores. So yes, in effect you Did Choose to do it that way. For gosh sakes, take 2 bucks and go buy some velcro.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
The Cat
Quote:
Velcro can be bought almost anywhere, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware Stores. So yes, in effect you Did Choose to do it that way. For gosh sakes, take 2 bucks and go buy some velcro.
Suction cups work really well, too.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
destinywilder
Quote:
1st Cardinal rule of snake keeping - you never use any kind of Tape inside the cage.

i said it came with the cage. i didnt buy it separately. i have another one thats velcro. the one that came with the cage was the one with the sticky backing. it was so stuck on there that i didnt think it would come off. i even explained to my grandparents that it wasnt a good idea, but they made me put it in there.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Twolunger
Don't beat yourself up over the mistake. In my many years of keeping reptiles I've made a few real mistakes and learned from the experience. I'll bet everyone on this forum has had a time or two that they wish could be relived with a different outcome.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
destinywilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Don't beat yourself up over the mistake. In my many years of keeping reptiles I've made a few real mistakes and learned from the experience. I'll bet everyone on this forum has had a time or two that they wish could be relived with a different outcome.
thanks lol.. hopefully this is the first and last mistake ill ever make involving tape or anything sticky with him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
skin, tape