CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hi, I'm new!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Em.Mo.Clark
Red face Hi, I'm new!

Hello, I'm Em and I'm a new snake mom 2 days ago I bought my first snake, a 2 month old red corn snake, Brego, and I'll admit that I already worry when I have to leave my house that something will go wrong, haha! Any tips for a newbie? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Tavia
Hello and welcome!

Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Twolunger
Welcome to the forum. If you did your research before buying Brego you should be okay. One thing I read over and over is that the new snake has escaped. Don't let that happen. Snakes are escape artists and you will be surprised at their strength.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Welcome!
Do you have your enclosure set up, with heat and thermostat?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
DollysMom
Welcome to the forum!

My first bit of advice is to take a deep breath.

For the record, I hate to leave my snakes for more than a day and when I go on a trip have someone come in at least once daily to check on them.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
Em.Mo.Clark
@Twolunger yes, I did a lot of research! And ooooh yes, I read that too! The lid on his habitat has these two securing tools, I don't know quite what to call them, but they are like short metal posts that secure the lid to the cage, and then also I have the attaching corners taped with painter's tape xD

@MysticExotics, yes and no. I have a heating lamp with a 40 watt bulb (the 100 watt that was included got the warm side WAY too hot) over the warm side, and a heating pad on the outside of the wall on the warm side, but I don't have a thermostat. I do have a thermometer attached close to the substrate on the inside closer to the warm side, and also have an instant thermometer that I check the temperature of the substrate at the warmest point in the tank with.

@DollysMom Thank you! lol breathing is important I suppose xD

Thank you all so much!

Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #7
UncleSams
Welcome! A thermostat or temp controller is (in my opinion ) a must. My current corn is doing a lot better and growing much faster since I got a temp controller for him.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSams View Post
Welcome! A thermostat or temp controller is (in my opinion ) a must. My current corn is doing a lot better and growing much faster since I got a temp controller for him.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
kalel5011
I just left mine for a day for the first time left night. Before leaving I got a day night timer from zoomed and have a 60 watt bulb for a 20 long aquarium. Plus a heat pad underneath always on. Mine is in the basement so it's much cooler than upstairs. He shed while I was gone after feeding him two days ago.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
UncleSams
Heat pads can get VERY hot. I'd recommend getting a temp controller for it, and the light. Set it to around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a thick substrate it may not get as warm, or it'd take longer to warm up with a UTH, but if your corn is a burrower like mine, he could get burned by the pad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google